Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe/beam Wraps

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
zakrzewski.mz
2054 Views, 6 Replies

Pipe/beam Wraps

Hello everyone, 

I am doing a project where I have an SHS bracing going on an angle in few directions and connecting to another beam. Because of those weird angles, the cut at the end have an unusual shape. Is there any way to use Wrap Around drawing style to produce drawings with wraps for SHS as it can be done for pipes (CHS)?

Thanks for help in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hello zakrzewski.mz

Thank you for posting your question in Advance Steel Forum.

The Wrap template drawing style / view is implemented specifically for round pipes.

It is not working for rectangular or square hollow sections.

You might try to use a different approach: the Development (unfolding) drawing style / view.

In short, the steps would be like that (please see attached pictures and test project):

- Make sure the profile is "Unwindable"

- In Management Tools - Defaults, set the unfolding method to Outer contour

- Generate a SP detail using a drawing style like Development Front, Right

If the drawing scale is 1:1, the view is in fact a wrap template for the tube.

Please let me know if this will help you.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 3 of 7

Hey Emanuel,

Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to find the option for unfolding method but I do not have that position (expansion method for unfolding) in Drawing - Presentation the only option involving "unfolding" is in General tab (it's Elongation for unfolding calculation method). I am using AS 2017.1

Kind Regards

Maciek

Message 4 of 7

Hi Maciek,

Yes, it is the same option. The difference is that, most probably, you have the English-UK installation.

But it is the same setting, with the same result.

As a personal opinion, unless you have good reasons to work with UK installation, I would recommend you to use the English-International installation.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 5 of 7

Hi Emanuel,

Thanks for your response. I am working with Australian version. This one is used in my company. I have Development drawing style but not the 'unfolding' one. The files that you have sent me show exactly what I want to do. I went through all the options in this drawing style but I cannot find anything where I can select to unfold the profile. I select to unfold profile in object properties but anyway it does not show unfolded in the generated drawing. 

Regards

Maciek

Message 6 of 7

Thanks Emanuel for your time and help.

Everything is sorted out now. I was using contour processing cut and the shape of this cut was not correct which blocked unfolding the element. 

Message 7 of 7
milei4QF43
in reply to: zakrzewski.mz

Hello @Emanuel.Nestor ,

I really I appreciate your input, I try exactly how you are explain but not resultant.

I am exploring AS but has few weeks which I am trying to resolve but I couldn't.

I have the same problem unfolding tube on rail macro see the screen shot parameters, when I use tube I have correct unfolded length in drawing and in material table, when I use 1/2" or 5/8" round bar I have different size in unfolded drawing vs table material after changing all options in drawing dim is shorter.

Grade are the same both are unwind. If you can see on drawing is like twisted at the bending area. Radius is 1/2 which I think is on neutral axis of bend. 

I think is anything relate to K-factor?

why tube is working fine and round bar no?

has any way to handle this situation?

Thanks,

milei4QF43_0-1666147229330.pngmilei4QF43_1-1666147280165.png

milei4QF43_2-1666147433825.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report