Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create threaded rod with two bolts and nuts?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
egidijus_drafting
397 Views, 5 Replies

hi All,

THREADED_ROD.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

in general you had two options:

• use an anchor
  • use a round bar (could be renamed it the database to threaded rod) in combination with specialparts

Both ways have their advantage, if you need a singlepart detail, the second way is needed. But if m you want to have the the threaded rod in the same material list like bolts and anchors, you need to change the bom template a bit.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 3 of 6

I have created a basic version of special parts, but I was hoping for a more advanced solution that allows options to change the rod size, length, etc.
Yes, I want the rod, nuts, and washers to be displayed in the BOM on the assembly drawings. Currently, I have used a 'dummy' weld to achieve this, although I am not sure if this is the best method. I couldn't find any information online to achieve this in a better way.
2024-05-28 09_23_06-Window.png

Message 4 of 6

for my point of view, this is the best way, maybe another user will have a different view to this topic. You could combine the parts by using a custom connection (for example beam end)

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 5 of 6

Let me simplify the question:

What are the steps to create a threaded stud with 2 nuts and 2 washers that also appear in the BOM? (I have no problem attaching it with a ‘dummy’ weld to include it in the assembly drawing).

stud.png

Message 6 of 6

Create a custom user section for the threaded rod by following this help article:
Help | Create and Define a User Section | Autodesk

Then you can create the threaded rod to be as long as you want, just like any other beam/shape. Then yes, you can use a "dummy" weld to attach the washers and nuts (I recommend using these as special parts). Doing this, all of the parts will show up in the BOM both on and off the drawing. Be sure to specify the material used for the threaded rod in its properties, otherwise the weight and other information may be off if the default material is used (if that is a concern for you).

I've done this countless times for anchor rods, epoxy bolts, and other rod/nut assemblies.

Also, take care when you create your custom user section and naming it. Removing a user section from Advance Steel is a bit of a chore if you mess up!

Lewk_PSB is an old account that is owned by a company I no longer work for.

If this reply answers your question, please "Accept as Solution" - Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report