Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full penetration butt weld symbol

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rahulmhaskar20
11267 Views, 12 Replies

full penetration butt weld symbol

Hi People,

I am making a full penetration weld symbol amd was able to make it modifying weldtemplate.dwg. But i am not able to get rid of the thickness shown in the symbol when i insert it in my drawing. is there any solution?. Also can we insert a notation for angle of weld in the symbol?

Thanks.

Rahul.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Which one of these did you have in mind?

welds.JPG

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 3 of 13

Single bevel and double bevel

Message 4 of 13
AleckGiles
in reply to: rahulmhaskar20

Hi,

I think you should find the welds are already defined in the sytem and in the symbol drawings.

Main Weld Type = HV is the "Single Bevel Groove" weld.

HY is the same as HV but the groove only goes half penetration.

K = Double Bevel Groove

X - Double V Groove.

Think of what the cross section looks like and that is where the letters come from.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 5 of 13
rahulmhaskar20
in reply to: AleckGiles

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. What i am looking for is to get rid of the thickness in the symbol. I want just the symbol without thickness specified.

Message 6 of 13

For now, I explode the symbol, delete the thickness value.But is there any solution so that i don't have to explode the symbol?

Message 7 of 13
AleckGiles

Hi,

Welds have standard types and a standard size.

By default, in a drawing welds that are standard do not get any symbol at all.

Welds that are a different type but standard size get a symbol with no size value.

Welds of non standard size get a symbol with both the symbol and size on them even if standard type. It would not make sense to have no size on these smybols.

These are controlled by the Defaults in Management Tools.

Connecting Elements > Welds > Standard Weld Type (Lower Weld) = standard type for Weld Double.

Connecting Elements > Welds > Standard Weld Type (Upper Weld) = standard type for Weld Main.

Connecting Elements > Welds > Standard Weld size = Default size when manually placing welds in the model.

Drawing Labelling > General > Create Weld symbols for thte default thickness = if ticked then ALL welds get labelled with size and symbol.

Drawing Presentation > General > Standard Weld Size in Drawings = this is the size that gets the symbol but no size value.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 8 of 13
rahulmhaskar20
in reply to: AleckGiles

Hi,

Can you tell me what all things do i have to change to get just the symbol without thickness value? I tried a few changes in manager but was not able to get the result.

Cheers.

Rahul.

Message 9 of 13
zth3601

Hi,

Did you solve the question?  I find the same problem , but as the AleckGiles' answer , it doesn't work. So do you have the answer?

Thanks very much.

Message 10 of 13
rahulmhaskar20
in reply to: zth3601

Hi,

I haven't found any way around it. I just explode the symbol and do the tweaks i want.

Cheers. 

Message 11 of 13
zth3601

It seems that was the fastest way.
Thank you.
Message 12 of 13
chrisengg
in reply to: zth3601

Advance steel weld template has throat thickness defined within it via tokens, you could modify weld template and delete thickness token but that would then not give you thickness of any welds including fillet.So no other option but to explode and delete for butt/bevel welds.I hope they can modify in future release to control weld thickness token.Hope this helps.

Message 13 of 13
ahayes.pl
in reply to: chrisengg

I know this is a little late, but I found a way to eliminate the weld size for the CJP Groove welds as D1.1 requires. If you type in 1/16" for your weld size, because the default min weld size is set to 1/8" the size of the weld will disappear and you do not need to explode the weld symbol so you can still go back and modify it if needed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report