Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula's in BOM Drawing templates

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
IanHopton1340
2318 Views, 20 Replies

Formula's in BOM Drawing templates

I am trying to use a formula’s in a Custom BOM Template on my assembly drawings to calculate the volume of a concrete wall panel.

The following formula works except it doesn’t take into account any features (windows) to calculate the volume.

%Formula:%Weight/2.45      (2.45 being the density of concrete)

I replaced the %Weight token with the following token

%AssemblyExactWeight

And I get a “0” value displaying in the BOM template.

I have also tried the following %Formula:%Area*%Thick  but this also ignores any subtracted features.

Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

the token weight could be changed by a default, but i think this is not what you want, because then all elements for example plates are used this setting.
Maybe someone other have an idea, but until now I don't see a possibility to have this on the detail

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 3 of 21

Hi Ian,

I wouldl like to suggest you to take a look on the video about it.

---------------------------------------------
If this post answer your question please click "Accept as Solution". It will help everyone to find answer more quickly!

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 4 of 21

Hi Jakub,

I think he mean bom on drawing, by using a normal bom it's easy, because the token with 'exact' is not working.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 5 of 21

I have done some testing and it seems not to work with any material 

I tested steel & glass

Message 6 of 21

Hi Ian,

It has anything with material type.

As Sebastian mentioned, using formulas in this way known from External BOM manner, seems to be the gap in current implementation.
I would suggest to go with this wish to the idea.station and submit the topic for further development.

If this post answer your question please click "Accept as Solution". It will help everyone to find answer more quickly!

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 7 of 21

Hi Ian,

I think I succeed in my test somehow.

Please let me know which table you need to customize or send me your dwg for modification.

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 8 of 21

Hey @Jakub.Brozonowicz can you please do a screencast or description about it? I think we could all benefit from knowing how to do it ourselves 🙂 

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 9 of 21

Hi Mark,

I got a success with attempt shown on the screencast below.

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 10 of 21

Hi Jakub,
he wants to have the exactweight...you calculate with the token weight, but if you have a concrete wall with openings for windows and doors (for example), the weight of the concrete wall is not correct. So if you want to have the volume, you need the exactweight, and the it could be divide by the density, which is a token and could be used.

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 11 of 21

Thanks Sebastian.

Indeed.
So it should be generally  %Formula:%ExactWeight*0.000454545 for concrete density 2200kg/m3.

Hope it helps.

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 12 of 21

the density token is available in Advance Steel, but we want to use it for calculating the volume...and the token Exactweight is not working in BOM drawings...that's the problem...

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 13 of 21

Thanks Jakub,

I Jacub also got this to work but its the %exactweight token I need to work.

The %weight token dosen't take into account openings etc.

Thanks for your input.

Message 14 of 21

Hi Ian,

We are working on a solution that will provide better functionality of %exactweight token in future.

Thank you for drawing attention.

Jakub Brożonowicz

Global Product Support

Message 15 of 21

Does this also apply to plate?

Message 16 of 21
IanHopton1340
in reply to: markhubrich

Only when used within the %Formula token

If you use it on its own it works fine.

Message 17 of 21
markhubrich
in reply to: IanHopton1340

So I'm back at wanting customization in a BOM.  I'm doing one for cable rail cable. I got cable by copying the round bars and renaming things. I create cable like poly beam so any kinks are still known as one member. 

Here's my issue. 

See how the list gives me the length per part. Ignore the tiny 0", thats me messing with formula. 

I want to have another column with total length for qty added up. 

So for example M51A will have a total length of 12'-7 5/16". Just like the total weight column works.

cable.JPG

Then at the footer just like how it adds up the length for each I want a grand total length, again similar to the total weight sum works.

Any examples of what my formula should contain?  

Thanks

Message 18 of 21

If I understand it correct, you only need the totallength or not?

Here is a small screencast: https://autode.sk/3awlPQn

Sebastian Eiche

EESignature

Message 19 of 21

Thanks for taking the time. I couldn't get it to work. Now that I noticed error I'm not sure I want it too. It appears the same error as the "group equal distance" problem is also in formulas. 

Your screencast shows the sum as 12'-7 9/16" but 9 x 1'-4 13/16" = 12'-7 5/16". For this purpose I don't mind it being a little longer but if it were the other direction I would be in trouble. Or I would be in trouble if there were 900 instead of 9 of these because I could have way too much material.

I think what is happening is that AS is calculating everything in the parts "real" value then displaying the imperial equivalent.?

That cable is actually 16.8121" long. My units are set to 1/16" accuracy so AS rounds the value to the nearest 1/16" but adds up the real value not the rounded value shown . 

I'll just manually create the BOM. Accumulated error is my enemy. 

Message 20 of 21

Hi, I have the following problem. I can't set the table in the drawing to calculate the total amount of paint for all the main parts. There is no problem with calculating the paint for one part, but when I try to multiply it by the number of main parts the result is zero.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report