Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing steel in plan view

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Adrian.Mangan
842 Views, 4 Replies

Existing steel in plan view

Hi All,
Was looking for some advice, I usually use Full Plan view and I do a lot or renovation jobs with existing steel, usually I just mark as existing but on larger projects I would like thee to just come in as a line or it just looks sloppu, what is best way to go about this. Would it be to give these beams a unique model role like EXISTING
then add another line to object presentation in the drawing style for beams with that model role and change presentation. Does anyone else use a method to achieve the same result.

Any advice appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Drawtech
in reply to: Adrian.Mangan

I do much like you suggest - but rather than using single lines I make existing members a different colour:

Existing steel.jpg

...so like you say, add a line in your drawing style object presentation for "Existing". 

I use the VisibleHiddenModelColour presentation and so whatever colour you use in the model is also used in the drawing.

I do the same for "Timber" (as in the screenshot example) and also for the various concrete objects.

I use green (63) for Existing, brown (43) for timber and grey (8) for concrete.

You will also need to make sure your plot style *.ctb file uses the object colour for the colours you intend to use.

This all works well for me and drawings look clear in terms of new steel, timber, concrete and existing members etc without having to spend time editing things in the drawing.

Dave Gronow
Drawtech Services Ltd
Message 3 of 5
Adrian.Mangan
in reply to: Drawtech

Great, thanks so much Dave that helps, much appreciated, while I have your attention do you have much issues with masking on labels and dims not working all the time.
Thank you again for your input.
Message 4 of 5
Drawtech
in reply to: Adrian.Mangan

Re the masking - yes! 

It sometimes turns itself off and a re-start of AS is required to fix it.

...although I have not noticed whether the lack of masking display on screen affect an actual print or not - have you?

Also, I've not used AS2019 enough to see if it still occurs as I'm completing various current projects in AS2018.

Dave Gronow
Drawtech Services Ltd
Message 5 of 5
Adrian.Mangan
in reply to: Drawtech

Yeah the prints come out bad, was frustrating me no end last night as I
stayed up all night to get a project in. Haven't downloaded 2019 yet, I'm
afraid to haha. Might download if I get a chance this week so busy can't
even trick around with my drawing styles for 5 minutes.
Keep up the good work, thank you for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report