Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data exchange between Advance Steel and Tekla

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
EmreKasıkcı
323 Views, 7 Replies

Data exchange between Advance Steel and Tekla

Hello,

After opening Advance Steel files in Tekla, to what extent can we make modifications? Can I extract connection details to Tekla? Conversely, can I open and edit Tekla files in Advance Steel? Do you have any experience or recommendations regarding this matter?

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

There is no information exchange between AS & Tekla.

You can reference ACIS / .DWG models into both softwares but these will be reference models only, you won't get anything intelligent / editable.

Message 3 of 8

This is not correct at all.
For Tekla and Advance Steel there's the CIS/2 Import/Export , with the limitations of this file format. But to it should work to get plates, beams and bolts.

If you get the CIS/2 from Tekla use the "special CIS/2 import"

Sebastian_Eiche_0-1715931703987.png

Depending on the version of Tekla and the Export settings, sometimes the IFC files are working

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 4 of 8

It is nightmare, however I found from Tekla to ADVS best would be IFC file with certain instruction.

IFC_Instructions.png

Message 5 of 8

OK.  I stand corrected.  But my 9 years AS experience has taught me......

You may be able to use these formats to transfer some of your data through, but you are going to spend a lot of time to make it usable.  It won't be something you can rely on for ongoing projects.

If you come to produce your fab pack and you get errors / crashing I can guarantee you this is something to do with your imported data.  When you need to get your project issued and you are fighting against the system you will realise that you would have been quicker to start from scratch, or you may even end up starting from scratch.

Never import anything into your AS model files.  I have learned this the hard way.......

Although saying that, I believe that every single error has been repaired between my AS2018 and latest AS2025 so my experience is probably no longer valid.

Message 6 of 8

I don't want to say it work perfect...but there's a way. From my point I never use this data too, I always use it as reference, but the "old" fileformats like CIS/2 and so on and working mostly better then IFC from my experience.

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 7 of 8

I use the export through Revit for IFC, and it works quite well.

If only there was a way to send along 1 single identifier that applies to all the object types......

Message 8 of 8

Absolutely agree with @sdonohoedesign  comments – specially if working with curved members, normally we just ask clients for system lines and then rebuild them from the scratch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report