Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

concrete estimating / volume

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
muleman1
1288 Views, 8 Replies

concrete estimating / volume

We have modeled a small bridge and was hoping to use AS to generate a close estimate of the concrete volume (cubic yards) for the abutments... obviously we are doing something wrong and cannot figure it out... can anyone help? maybe @Kirk_bailey or @AleckGiles

CONCRETE EXT1.png

CONCRETE EXT2.png

CONCRETE EXT3.png

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Kirk_bailey
in reply to: muleman1

The only thing i ca think of is using the clash check and using a calculator on the concrete volumes presented in the clash check

Message 3 of 9
AleckGiles

Hi,

The reason that your concrete is not appearing on BOMs is the Report Contents.In the BOM Editor select the desired list and right click on the name and pick Report Contents. Then tick all the concrete type objects i.e. Slab, Isolated footing, Concrete Beam and Concrete Beam Bent. Save the template. Then your concrete items will show on that BOM.

Volume is not a property Advance Steel has available. Therefore I can only see two options.

1) Export your list to Excel and divide the weight by the density. Density is not availabe from AS BOMs either.

2) Set the BOM to show DIm X, Dim Y and Dim Z. This give the envelope dimensions of the item. This is intended generally for packing purposes as in what size crate is needed. So the volume will not be precise but multiplying those values will give some idea.

If you make a BOM on a drawing you can make your own formulas using the 'Formula:' token  so you could multiply the dims in the BOM. Formulas are not currently possible in separate lists.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Aleck Giles

Application Engineer

Graitec UK

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

In this link you can see easy solution for concrete objects volume!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4LcHHPbWI

Message 5 of 9
muleman1
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks, we figured it out with help from many people. It was frustrating as we had to play with weightsd s and densities many, many, many time in tables . But we did get it to work....

Concrete BOM image.JPG

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 6 of 9
mtb2

Would you be willing to share that process. I'm looking at the concrete volume as well and not having much success to get the same type of results. Thanks

Message 7 of 9
johnjmbennett
in reply to: mtb2

This process, you need to use a formulae in the bom template to calculate the volume,  it’s the cubic cm/inches x the density value. 

using the various tokens and the calc you can arrive at the solution.

https://youtu.be/be4LcHHPbWI

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
muleman1
in reply to: mtb2

@mtb2 We are in the process of setting up AS21, so maybe this weekend, I will tackle this volume/yardage BOM again. We are far, far, far, far, far, far, very, very far from experts, but we do struggle through to get most of what we need from AS. If I get a chance I will screencast the process and share.

In our case, because we are fabricators, welders and detailers and not Dev's or code-writing Gurus, we have found it less time consuming by a factor of 90.789 million to just change the ways we document things to the "out of the box" outputs of AS. 

I've said it before, AS modeling is fairly simple, very intuitive and fun, But the customization of document output, BOMs, adding new profiles, etc, or any customization for that matter would have driven the late Rev. Billy Graham into a office chair throwing, computer screen smashing, window breaking, screaming, cursing, raging, coniption, FIT !!!  😁😉

Message 9 of 9
mtb2

@muleman1 I hear ya. We are implementing AS as a design tool, more front end to your work, I was a detailer for 19 years. We have a plan to make contact with support people but thought I would look around and get an idea of how others are handling this type of question. I followed the video but it still left a gap in some ways. Thanks for the response.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report