Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt List issues

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dcubbedge
1486 Views, 5 Replies

Bolt List issues

I have an assembly with two lengths of socket head cap screws to shop assemble parts. On my assembly drawing I have a shop bolt list. There are two lengths, 2 1/2" and 4 1/2", quantity 12 of each. As far as I can tell the quantity is correct in the model. However, the shop bolt list gives me multiple lines of each length of bolt with a quantity of 24. Right now I have (8) lines of (24) 4 1/2" long bolts and (8) lines of 2 1/2" long bolts! One line of (12) is what I want for each length.  The quantity of flat washers is correct at 24.

If I delete all the 4 1/2" long bolts or all of the 2 1/2" long bolts (leaving the other), the list updates correctly. When I add in the second bolt length, the list goes crazy. It's like it doesn't recognize length, only type.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
AntDrt
in reply to: dcubbedge

hi, can you check if you have "quantity 1" (below used in list)  in the behavior panel in the bolt property window in your model ?

is it the only error or all assemblies have the same error ?

Antoine
AMG Fechoz
Serrurerie & Equipement Scénographique
www.amg-fechoz.com
Message 3 of 6
dcubbedge
in reply to: AntDrt

It seems to be random.

The history of this issue might be helpful. Initially the shop bolts were in the structured list and the field bolts were in the bolt list. These callouts for bolt 'assemblies' however had not enough information in them for the fabricator (no nuts or washers), so we 'exploded' the bolt assemblies. This gave us the info we needed, but multiple lines in the BOM. At some point I decided to create two lists on my assembly drawings, a field bolt and a shop bolt list. When first populated, the list had multiples, but a solution was found to add the "length" category to the list sorting and content rules - this made the list correct. Several sheets later, the same list was giving me multiples again.

It also is difficult for me to tell just how Advance knows a given detail requires field bolts. In the pre-Advance days, we would use the "supporting member" method, that is we would look at a connection and determine if it was supporting or supported. For example, I have C8x11.5 frames that get bolted down to W8x18 beams. These bolts have beveled washers for the C8 flange. So, I would expect the details of the W8x18's to have all the beveled washers in the list as they are supporting the C8s, but that is not the case. The beveled washers are random, some on the W8 details, some on the channel frames. The bolted connections were all made the same - i.e., the pick order was identical.

At the moment we are moving forward with manually generated bolt lists and using the AS point to point list as a check.

Dave Cubbedge
Sponseller Group Inc.
1600 Timberwolf Drive
Holland, OH 43528

419-861-3000

Message 4 of 6
dcubbedge
in reply to: AntDrt

It seems to be random.

The history of this issue might be helpful. Initially the shop bolts were in the structured list and the field bolts were in the bolt list. These callouts for bolt 'assemblies' however had not enough information in them for the fabricator (no nuts or washers), so we 'exploded' the bolt assemblies. This gave us the info we needed, but multiple lines in the BOM. At some point I decided to create two lists on my assembly drawings, a field bolt and a shop bolt list. When first populated, the list had multiples, but a solution was found to add the "length" category to the list sorting and content rules - this made the list correct. Several sheets later, the same list was giving me multiples again.

It also is difficult for me to tell just how Advance knows a given detail requires field bolts. In the pre-Advance days, we would use the "supporting member" method, that is we would look at a connection and determine if it was supporting or supported. For example, I have C8x11.5 frames that get bolted down to W8x18 beams. These bolts have beveled washers for the C8 flange. So, I would expect the details of the W8x18's to have all the beveled washers in the list as they are supporting the C8s, but that is not the case. The beveled washers are random, some on the W8 details, some on the channel frames. The bolted connections were all made the same - i.e., the pick order was identical.

At the moment we are moving forward with manually generated bolt lists and using the AS point to point list as a check.

Dave Cubbedge
Sponseller Group Inc.
1600 Timberwolf Drive
Holland, OH 43528

419-861-3000

Message 5 of 6
dcubbedge

I found the solution. In the bolt lists, make sure the list sorting and content has in order: "Diameter", "Name", "Length" and "Quantity in Model" and the lists come out as expected.

Message 6 of 6
egrote

please clarify "in the bolts lists"

having trouble getting an accurate count of bolts on a bolts list

328 - 3/4" bolts at varying lengths show up on bolt list

manually count bolts by the amount of parts being connected multiplied by the amount of bolts each and coming up with 512

isolate the particular layer that these bolts are on, explode them into solids, select them and qty. is 490

there is to much of a difference to trust here

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report