Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchor Bolt Detailing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bjur
1944 Views, 5 Replies

Anchor Bolt Detailing

What is the "Best Practices" way of handling anchor bolt detailing.  In the US, the detailer typically needs to provide drawings for the anchor bolts indicating the length, number of nuts, washers, and threaded length.  This is typically done for each anchorbolt setting.

My original plan was to create a camera view of the anchor bolt from the side that would show the anchor bolts, column and base plate.  I was then going to just add dimensions to this drawings indicating the bolt dimensions.  After trying it for awhile, it appears that this won't work as there is no way to snap dimensions to the anchor bolts.  They are drawn, but there are no snap points, either Advance Steel or standard Autocad snap points.  It appears there is no way to dimension these bolts.  Im curious how others have handled this.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: bjur

hi,

i just still have my old Autocad library with anchor detail blocks in an attribute, insert like others and bingo.
Maybe not the way you want but fast and simple.
Message 3 of 6
bjur
in reply to: Anonymous

So do use autocad dynamic blocks in the details or do you use 3d blocks in the model and then dimension to those 3d solids in the detail?  Trying to figure out why the software won't let me dimension to the bolt objects.  Seams like a major oversite.  If we could dimension to those, I'd be much happier right now.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

dynamic blocks in the details.
As far as i know dimension on the anchor not possible, but why shoud you?
The part flag in de details will tell the same.

good luck
Message 5 of 6
DumitruBerteanu
in reply to: Anonymous

Anchors  (and bolt) objects detailed with their solid presentation in Advance Steel drawings can't be indeed be dimensioned as none of the points will give you a snap. You can have a drawing with anchors exploded to lines, create a block out of those lines and insert it on drawings if you need to realise dimensions, but it won't allow you to use update drawings properly then.

Dumitru Berteanu
Product Owner
Message 6 of 6
bjur

Please developers, add snap points to the anchor bolt geometry so we can provide dimensions in the drawings. The idea of exploding a detail to dimension the bolts is counter intuitive. It's why we buy software like advance steel so we don't need to draft things like this. Once I explode I loose the main benefit of having the drawing update if it is changed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report