Community
A360 Drive Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s A360 Drive Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular A360 Drive topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I restore my settings?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
6430 Views, 12 Replies

How do I restore my settings?

I logged into 360 yesterday for the first time in years to try and solve an issue I was having with Revit. Then I closed down for the day (in a hurry as usual). I had AutoCAD open as well and I think it 360 changed my settings to an older version...being in a hurry I just clicked whatever to shutdown. Today I realize my setting are all old and not customized the way they were before. Is there anyway for me to restore what I had before logging on and off of 360? Will doing a system restore fix my new/old settings problem?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
BrettWright
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Kyle,

• Unfortunately the answer is likely no, not unless you had saved your profile (Options dialog/Profile / Export) then you could do an “Import” to restore it.
  • I'm sure you likely didn't even know to do this since you likely weren't even aware it could happen, again sorry.
  • Best-practice for future: Always save your workspace (WSSAVE) and save your profile.  It can be especially helpful to do these things when using sync-settings because after a customization-sync you can easily restore the sync’d settings.

The other option you have to keep this from happening again would be to uncheck the "Sync my settings with the cloud" box in your AutoCAD based vertical product (assuming you have one installed since that is typically how the A360 Desktop Sync gets installed.

Type OPTIONS at the command prompt then go to the ONLINE tab and look for the below to uncheck one or both if you want to not be able to save from the product to your local A360 Folders which then get synced to your online A360 Drive.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

sync options dialog.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: BrettWright

Brett,

Thanks for the quick reply and the helpful info.

I turned off the A360 "sync my settings" as soon as I saw the log-in had my info in it, I right clicked to check it out and unchecked that option. That's when I put together what happened but by then it was too late...

I was able to solve the majority my problem by going at things another way. I cloned my drive a few months ago so I dug out the CUIX file from that and copied into my current "support" folder and it fixed most of what I was looking for.

Are there any other files I should look to replace before I export my profile and save my workspace?

Thanks again for the help!

Message 4 of 13
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Hi Kyle,

Let me jump in here and help Brett out a bit.  Customization is important to backup just like drawing files or any other data.  When we introduced CUI to AutoCAD back in the day, we also implemented a feature called Import and Export Settings.  You can find it under "All Programs/Autodesk/AutoCAD/Migrate Custom Settings.  It will create a zip file with all your customization, kind of like eTransmit works.  So once you get all your customization the way you want it, then you can export it.  You can also import it on another system as long as it's running the same version of AutoCAD.    It's a great way to backup your customization.  

To Export Custom Settings

To Export Custom Settings

Workspaces are stored in CUI or CUIx file depending on what version of AutoCAD you are running, so you will see that as well.  You may also want to go to Options/Profiles and export your AutoCAD Profile as well.  It will create an ARG file and you can give it a custom name and description.  

As far as other files to look for, it depends on what you have customized.  For example if you have custom templates, or PC3 files, STB or CTB files also.  There is also the ACAD.PGP file, so if you created any command aliases, you want to grab that as well.   

Here is a link on customization as well.

About Customization

About Customized File Locations

Hope this helps answer your question about what files to look for and how to backup your files in the future.   

Thanks again for posting your question to the A360 Drive forum and hope this is helpful.

Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Join the AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Program.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

So, it's been 3 months since I used A360 but now that I need to use it for a project I was making sure I didn't have the same proplem again...but I see that I didn't mark this as solved. Bud this was the solution I need now.

Thanks again for the help Bud and Brett.

Message 6 of 13
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the update and glad we could help out here.
Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Thank you Bud,

The information you shared was very helpful to me. I did not have a backup file setting with my settings until I red your answer to Kile's question. I have Windows 10 and AutoCad 2016, so I did a little search on Autodesk Help to learn more about exporting files to create my backup file. I was able to create and save a cuix file with my settings in my 360 drive and in my PC hard drive.

I use AutoCad in 3 different locations and hardwares, and I'd like to be able to use the same settings in all 3. Sometimes takes to long to sinc my settings through A360 at my school. I hope I'll be able to import the cuix file quicker at the start of every class.

Marcia

Message 8 of 13
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK

Hi Marcia,

Welcome to the A360 forums and your first post. As long as you are using the same version of AutoCAD. and on the same platform it should work fine. What type of setting are you sharing between systems?

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Message 9 of 13

Bud,

I just had the exact same problem as Kyle did.

I had been getting a pop-up message, something about A360 not being able to connect, but I ignored it. I don't use A360 for anything but Autodesk update notifications, if that. I ONLY use AutoCAD 2017 at work, not anyplace else.

So today, I went ahead and logged in, to see what the A360 problem might be. Don't care now.

What I do care about is that WITHOUT WARNING, my entire workspace reverted to whatever state it had been in whenever I actually had A360 running.

One recently created tool palette is now GONE.

Another, that I had modified recently has all the new items GONE.

Even some Quick Access Toolbar things are GONE.

I managed to find one recent custom ".atc" file in the "...\R21.0\enu\Support\ToolPalette\Palettes" folder, but cannot figure out how to load it.

I realize that I am basically SOL on this, but maybe the creators of A360 should make it so it would sense when someone has not been around for a while, or always ask if the user wants to revert to settings that are "in the cloud".

Maybe add an Option to save / export current settings at that time, prior to changing / overwriting recent changes?

My next task is to search Cadalyst or some other place for some code that I can add to my acaddoc.lsp file, to automatically export my profile and tool palettes whenever I start up. One does not usually think about such "givens" as these, until it's too late.

Does AutoCAD have some function for auto-saving such customization things, like it does for working drawing files?

This has cost me / the company several hours of my time.

Not a Happy Camper,

CFKellogg

Message 10 of 13
BrettWright
in reply to: fkellogg

Hi Frank,

• Did you by chance log out of A360 or uncheck the menu item to “Sync my settings with the cloud” from within AutoCAD?
  • If so, you would have been prompted to restore your original settings from within AutoCAD. Screenshot below. 
  • Do you still have this option to "sync my settings with the cloud"?

•  

One last item, see this post HERE for how to reset to the default settings from AutoCAD. 

sync to cloud.png

In AutoCAD, online settings dialog, under OPTIONS:

Sync Settings 2.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 11 of 13
fkellogg

All that's unchecked at the moment. No idea what it was set to yesterday.

Our server recently was hit by a storm, and we had no internet for a few days; not sure if that's when A360 got disconnected or started the error message.

Not even sure if I was out of A360 prior to that.

This morning, I logged into A360 and all my recent customizations went away, no questions asked.

In the process of desperately trying to get them back, I did a System Restore (which may not have completed), and then after that was not a help, I undid the System Restore.

After that, my acad.pgp, acad.pat, and a bunch of other stuff has been wonky.

AutoCAD even said "Preparing for first run..." (or some such) one of the times I re-started the program.

My acaddoc.lsp seems to be fine.

Is there any way I can get back to yesterday?

Productivity today: < 50%.

CFK

Message 12 of 13
BrettWright
in reply to: fkellogg

hi Frank,

I'm not sure we can be of much help here since you've done a system restore, then tried to undo that, and now many things are acting wonky.

At this point, your best bet might just be to start over with a fresh reset to "default', and then leverage Bud's advice below of making a back up of your settings so that if it happens again, you won't be impacted as much.

i'm sorry that you're having this issue, wish we could have helped more on this.

• Use the Import and Export settings in LT if you need to backup and restore your settings.  
  • One thing I like to recommend is using this as a backup for your customization. 
  • You can upload it to the A360 Drive site to a Customization Folder and then if needed for a home system or a reinstall, you can Import the settings.  

lt settings restor.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 13 of 13
fkellogg

One of my questions above had been about a .atc file I found, with the name of one of the tool palettes I had created.

I tried "Import", but only .xtp files can be imported.

This morning, I located that promising .atc file, and on a whim, dragged it onto my Tool Palettes.

As easy as pie, there it is, the palette with all my hatches, set to come in at specified scales, and rotations, and layers!

Still cannot locate the more important one, with recently re-worked commands, blocks, etc. Oh well.

As far as A360 being "responsible" for all this, as my old friend Jode Brown used to say, "I caint know".

People who use A360 for working from different places must appreciate the seamless ability to have it all the same environment.

Maybe I missed something when I re-connected. As the initial poster said, I too may not have been paying enough attention to messages.

When all my "stuff" disappeared, I mildly panicked, and may have caused more damage, or missed another message.

The change to my working environment seemed to happen without warning, and without recourse.

This in itself should indicate a need for change to the A360 interface, to make something so potentially disruptive not so innocuous.

CFK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report