Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Metals

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
4643 Views, 6 Replies

Antique Metals

I design sculpted metal products. I often need to render mock ups. I'm having trouble creating a material accurately. I know I could unwrap the model and hand paint the material but I'm looking for a more streamlined approach. I do several of these a day.

Actual antiquing of metal in the real world is created artificially by painting on a darkening agent, letting the agent dry, then buffing it back out. Areas near the edges of z height changes and/or crevasses can't be reached by the buffing machines and this is what creates the antiqued (patina) look.

See attached an example of what I'm talking about of a medallion I modeled.

I' m looking for a way to emulate this effect in Max

Thanks,

Charlie

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You could get this effect by creating a blend shader.

In the first material put your usual reflective metal, in the other a dark non relfective "grime" material.

Then, to get the effect you want use an inverted ambient occlusion map in the mask section.

This way, it'll give you a white mask in all the crevices of the object letting through the grime material. You'll have to tweak the ao map a fair bit, and with a color correction node if necessary. But this way you wont have to paint the grime map by hand.

M.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

You can try "Render Surface Map" from the render menu. This can render various maps like Cavity, Density, Occlusion, etc...

The maps can then be used as a mask in a Blend Material, or other composite methods.

Another option is to use an "Ambient/Reflective Occlusion Shader" to get your cavities, that won't need UVs.

See these tips for metal materials. This for a basic metal to start with. This for fast, smooth, glossy reflections. And this for layering materials, see the greasy brass at the end.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Many thanks, I'll give those a try. I tried something similar in Zbrush but I didn't have enough memory.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

And here's a tutorial that may help you with the procedures discussed above...

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/ambient_occlusion_rust/ambient_occlusion_rust.htm

- Neil

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Not sure if you own Vray, but if you do there's some great tuts by Viscorbel with good sections on patinas and metals, using the Tension modifier to distribute the effect.

http://viscorbel.com/shop/creating-old-n-dirty-vray-material/

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report