Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vRay Material _ Adding bitmap on top of glass

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4651 Views, 5 Replies

vRay Material _ Adding bitmap on top of glass

I'm modelling a race car and need to have clear images on the glass such as racing numbers and sponsors etc.  

I already have a bitmap material made in illustrator and exported as a PNG on an opaque background.  
I created a basic vRay glass material in 3ds Max and linked the bitmap file accordingly.  

When rendering, although the bitmap is correctly displayed, it's quite dull and difficult to see.  

I need to correct this somehow, I need to increase the intensity of the bitmap image.  

I tried increasing the output value however when I do, it brings forward the white background and make the glass become solid.  

Anyone have any ideas.?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rendermaster
in reply to: Anonymous

in reality those stickers are not part of the glass itself. better  model it separately from the glass for you to have a better control on the material

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 6
kgokhangurbuz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi;

You can achieve this by Blend Materials.

Unfortunately, i don't agree with the comment above. In real life, yes, glass and stickers are different elements but in 3d world, you can fake such thickness like a sticker on a glass with bump / normal bump mapping.

Please refer to my reply on this post: Link - Blend Material Post

Regards;

Message 4 of 6

first of all, i didnt say its impossible to do it. i just elaborate that to have a better control for both the reflection and refraction of the material without affecting the stickers bitmap image, better to model it separately. if your suggested blend material will do...then its fine and better if you could elaborate it here so the community will appreciate it much....

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

Message 5 of 6

Hi;

I think you got me wrong, i apologize for that if it sounded wrong.

On complex models, re-modeling, projecting and / or re-building the model for such materials is quite unnecessary.

And yes, it's the purpose of blend material. You can control everything seperately. I already elaborated the subject in my previous post with the link. If you want to ask further questions, please do not hestitate.

Regards;

Message 6 of 6

its okay..no harm done. thanks for the support on the community.

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report