Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spherical image distortion

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
pedro_mendoza2X24Z
369 Views, 6 Replies

Spherical image distortion

Hi

I'm having a problem with the spherical image I use as backgroung. Just to show you the problem I set my background having the empire state building. 

if using the setting I position the building on the left of the screen the building leans to the right, while if I bring it to the right it leans to the left.

leaning-right.jpgleaning-left.jpg

Here there is a screen of the setting I.m using:

settings.jpg

Following you'll find picture I use just as example, the problem exists with any other spherical photo I use.

empire state building.jpg

any Idea why?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Well, that's physics! If you rotate up a horizontal camera, parallel vertical lines will seem to converge to the top. If vertical lines should stay vertical as preferred in architectural renderings, you may add a Camera Correction Modifier. But this should be the very last step before final renderings.

wernienst_0-1720423674675.png

Besides that, an image map as background should be placed into the Environment Map slot of the Environment panel, not onto a sphere surrounding the camera.

Message 3 of 7
domo.spaji
in reply to: wernienst

@wernienst wrote:

Besides that, an image map as background should be placed into the Environment Map slot of the Environment panel, not onto a sphere surrounding the camera.

Which is exactly same thing (in case of spherical env. mapping)

Message 4 of 7
wernienst
in reply to: domo.spaji

Yes, but an environment map assigned as an object's texture is affected by scene illumination, as an background it is not (except it IS the scene illumination).

Message 5 of 7

I normally place the image in a material texture, so that I can adjust some parameters, then I connect the map to the environment map.

Message 6 of 7

I didn't know about Camera Correction Modifier, I'll try thanks. I like what you did with the background.

Message 7 of 7

Thank for the Camera Correction Modifier suggestion It worked, as you said I only used it just before rendering. Great!!! Thanks Again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report