Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Max 2018 - Rendering results in black background and ray misses.

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Anonymous
321 Views, 0 Replies

[SOLVED] Max 2018 - Rendering results in black background and ray misses.

EDIT : Solved it myself through experimentation!

Turns out the materials of my model were culled backwards (in other words, facing the other side) so the renderer projected nothing onto nothing, neither visible. Enabled 2-faced on the materials, and now it worked! It crashed after rendering though 😞

Hi, everyone. First-timer on these forums!

I've been rendering normal maps for models without issue for a while as practice for fun so I'd pick up the skill. I know the drill: high-poly mesh with details and low-poly mesh to project normals on. I got that licked.

Problem is, with this particular model, I cannot render it. I can't even do RTTs on it, as everything will be black except for the usual bright-red ray misses. The final map will be erroneous as well. This started bugging me today and I'm ripping my hair out here.

Is it a materials issue? A renderer issue, etc?

Process: I took a game model and cloned its meshes to create tesselated high-poly meshes (with extrusions such as scales, muscles, nicks and cracks, etc.), which I would then project onto the game model. I flattened it, removing any Edit Normals and Skin modifiers it came with.

If requested I'll send the problem .max file, but here I attached the RTT result and the window.

Version used: Max 2018, student license (for a non-commercial fan project anyway)

Tags (2)
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report