Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering reflections and bumps looks different when rendering in different output sizes.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ricky.corderoR5PJS
236 Views, 2 Replies

Rendering reflections and bumps looks different when rendering in different output sizes.

Hi Im having an issue.

I am setting up some product renderings to be rendered at very large sizes however when I prep all my materials and render at a lower output size they look one way but then when I render them at the much larger size they look different. The reflections from lights the details from bumps all look different.

Is there a way I can see what my rendering will look like at a smaller size before I render for 7+ hours only to have it look completely different?

Im using 3ds Max 2020 with Vray 5

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

It would really help if we knew what the difference in the renders was explained better, bonus points for image attachments.

My initial reaction is that when rendering at a higher resolution, the maps used in the Bump slots are not being downsized by the software, and more of the detail in them is being read by the renderer.  But I'm not sure about the reflections, and why they would look different at a higher resolution.

I'm also curious about what the pixel size is of your low res and high res images.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
RobH2
in reply to: ricky.corderoR5PJS

You can do a 'Region' render to see just a small area at your full resolution. You might have to render one or two locations. In IPR you can drag to render a small area.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report