Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render To Texture not working

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
soluisgroup
5220 Views, 5 Replies

Render To Texture not working

Hi,

I'm using 3ds Max 2019.3 and having issues with the render to texture tool. I'm trying to use the default scanline renderer for baking diffuse maps and normal maps. Every output from this tool is blank and contains no information whatsoever. The only result that is produced is the render that is in the rendered frame window.

This appears to have been an issue for some time, is it still being worked on? The baking tools are vital in my workflow for optimising complex scenes for deployment on mobile/AR platforms and not having access to this tool is causing serious issues.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hagen.deloss
in reply to: soluisgroup

Hi @soluisgroup 

Thanks for bringing your issue to the forums! 

I wanted to make sure and test this before getting back to you; the normal map render to texture is working on my machine (see screenshot), and I'm not seeing a general issue logged with the tool within our internal database here, so I would guess that this may be an issue with this particular model, or an issue with your machine, but we can do some further testing and see!

Screenshot (479).png

It looks like your normal map texture is being rendered, but no detail is showing up...may I see your normal map projection settings/cage?

Additionally, if you are able to provide me with a model you are having this issue with, I can test a few things on my end! I have attached the test scene pictured above, you are welcome to test render a normal map from it!

Looking forward to working with you to resolve this issue 😄

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 6
hagen.deloss
in reply to: soluisgroup

Hi @soluisgroup 

Any ideas or questions on my previous post? It would be helpful if you had time to give an update, that way other Community Members can benefit from your process 😄

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 4 of 6
soluisgroup
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I just tried the file you sent and it appears to be working okay. Which is strange considering I was sent a test scene like this from someone else on a different forum and was hitting the same issue as I was having before - despite it working fine for the user who sent the file.

Unfortunately I can't sent the file I was having issues with from my original post. I'll continue to look into this and post back here when I find the issue and it's solution.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

I'm still struggling with this.  Part of me wants to leave it be and move on, but I just can't seem to.  I found a project file the tutorial I was following used. I have attached it. 

When I open it and RTT it works PERFECTLY.  the cage looked a little different, and he had kept the low poly object as a plane vs an editable poly.  For testing sake, I made a plane and put the UVW/projection on it and the cage looks like his file now (each cage vert is now connected to the other 3) , however this did NOTHING. The render preview window also looks great in his model and terrible in mine.  Mine left, his right.  

Part of it could be his material has a way different set of settings than mine - i can't seem to make just a basic blinn like his file.  I probably need to do a few tutorials on materials in 3ds max.  however, the stretched out render effect seems so wrong i think its more than just a reflective material. I think my problem must have something to do with why my preview looks like that.  I went through the settings and they seem all the same, but  maybe i'm missing something? 

Odd texture effect.JPGgood preview.JPG

Maybe this will give you a lead? I really appreciate your time and attention to this!  Thank youuuu 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

well I suck at the internet, and replied to a different post by accident. Oops.... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report