Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSL Object Mask question

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
738 Views, 5 Replies

OSL Object Mask question

Dear fellow max'ers,

I have a riddle for you.. Does anybody know about an OSL shader (or similar), that works in the viewport, that can do the following:

A teapot is partially obscured by a sphere in the foreground. The sphere has a shader, that shows the teapot inside the sphere itself, though the teapot is set to hidden in the viewport. It's a sort of object-mask-shader, I'm looking for..

Anybody heard about this? or anybody who would like to try to solve this for me?

OSL-maskShaderIdea.jpg

Best, Jesper Colding

25 years as a 3DS max user

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
madsd
in reply to: Anonymous

Arnold Clip Geo Shader will do that.

Message 3 of 6
domo.spaji

Compounds, Booleans

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: madsd

Thanx Mads,

Well, first of all, I wasn't looking for a boolean shader. This should just be when obscuring an object from the viewing angle, so the objects shouldn't necessarily have to collide to make this happen, there could be space between them.

Second, I was hoping for a viewport compatible shader.

But thanx for the info anyway 🙂

Best, Jesper Colding

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: domo.spaji

Booleans again, are not on shader level. And I don't need the objects to be inside eachother. It should happen as long as the object in front is obscuring the object in the background (there could be space between them)

Thanx anyway..

Best, Jesper

Message 6 of 6
madsd

Osl Raytype will give control over stuff like this.

We have a discussion going on the facebook OSL Shaders regarding this request.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report