Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Texture Maps Working? (Arnold)

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
7752 Views, 18 Replies

No Texture Maps Working? (Arnold)

Hey there!

I just downloaded 3DS Max (2018 version) and am learning with a tutorial. 

I assigned the Renderer to Arnold and then when to Material Editor> Materials> General > Physical Material. I've been trying to text out a couple of different presets like wood, metal etc. Every single item I chose I get this message:

[MAXtoA]: This texture map is not supported, it will render black: varnished.wood (bump) (Mix).
This material is not supported: Material #27 (Standard). An approximation will be used.
[MAXtoA]: This texture map is not supported, it will render black: Map #4 (Noise).
[MAXtoA]: This texture map is not supported, it will render black: Map #3 (Noise).
[MAXtoA]: This texture map is not supported, it will render black: Map #5 (Noise).
[MAXtoA]: This texture map is not supported, it will render black: varnished.wood (bump) (Mix).

When I do a render preview it looks horrible and does not render out any texture. 

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you. 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
TMat
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi.

First of all, you should make sure that you have the latest version of Arnold for Max installed.  There have been a couple of updates released since the version that ships with Max 2018.  Find the download on the solid angle website.

To resolve the incompatibility errors you have had in relation to the Physical Material, just open Render Setup, Select Arnold as your renderer and go to the System tab.

Check "Legacy 3ds Max Map Support".  After this you should be good to go.

I'm still learning Arnold for Max myself but this process should work.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: TMat

Wow, I really want to thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.
This worked perfectly, thank you so much. All the best in your learning and
may God bless you 🙂
Message 4 of 19
TMat

You're most welcome.

I'm glad I could help!

Cheers.

Message 5 of 19
jafruiz
in reply to: TMat

Hello, how are you. I hace 3dsmax 2018 and the last update of Arnolf fore 3dsmax.  I tried your solution about legacy... then the RTT wondows appears but the Render Option remain disable.

Could you help me

JAFRuiz

Message 6 of 19
jafruiz
in reply to: jafruiz

Sorry about the english typing mistakes

Jafruiz

Message 7 of 19
madsd

RTT is not currently supported directly.
Phyton scripts exsists for offline kick, but it's on advanced level of solution + you need a license.

Message 8 of 19
jafruiz
in reply to: madsd

Thank you very much my friend, bad news!!!. I teach for students and I would like to export lightmaps into Lumion. Unfortunatly I do not have free texture baking plugin. Too bad because there was not any problem in the out Mental Ray. I am sure that they will make because there are many people working in games,

Jafruiz

Message 9 of 19
madsd

Follow the ideas page, there is a point specificily aimed at gathering user support for RTT and it is currently under review, status changed this Monday. 

Message 10 of 19
jafruiz
in reply to: madsd

Thank you Madsd, I'll do it

Jafruiz

Message 11 of 19
quinnredshift

I'm having a similar problem and Google is being absolutely no help because every search that includes "Noise" is nothing but denoiser tutorials.

The problem I'm having is that it seems like nothing in Arnold is simple or easy.

I'm trying to use Arnold-specific Noise textures but they just don't seem to be made for someone whose needs are uncomplicated. For example, I'm trying to use the Arnold Noise map and if there is a way to do something as basic as setting the colors of the noise seem quite well-hidden.

What works more or less exactly the same as the legacy Noise map for Arnold specifically? I'm trying to avoid using any legacy functions.

Message 12 of 19

Try to use the OSL Noises, they have way more options and are fully compatible with Arnold.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 13 of 19

They also give you far, far less control over the results.

Message 14 of 19

What it is missing for you?

Ther Uber Noise is one of the most complete

CiroCardoso3v_0-1681800183347.png

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
quinnredshift

quinnredshift_0-1681816528738.png

Gradient type.
I can't find an Arnold map with Gradient Type, and I absolutely need those controls. I use them all the time.

Message 16 of 19
CiroCardoso3v

Use the Curves Color Gradient

CiroCardoso3v_0-1681886620843.png

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 17 of 19

Possible slight miscommunication.,

I see that "Linear" is highlighted, but I didn't mean to single it out.

Ignore anything that's highlighted; the point is the list of options.

quinnredshift_0-1681900229738.png

I need to be able to use Linear, Box, Lighting, Linear, Normal, and Radial, at the very least, and I can't find an Arnold-only ramp that has this functionality. I don't see an Arnold-only ramp that allows you to change its shape.

Curves Color Gradient doesn't seem to have these options at all. Or, if it does, they've given it royally funky names that don't match previous ramps.

Message 18 of 19

Ok, let's jump to the other threat you already opened and go from there. It is easier than having to jump between multiple threats about the same topic.

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 19 of 19

@CiroCardoso3v wrote:

Ok, let's jump to the other threat you already opened and go from there. It is easier than having to jump between multiple threats about the same topic.

The reason that happened is because those topics are about different functions, all of which are getting in my way in the same fashion, mostly lack of control which I used to have available in previous versions of MAX.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report