Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR Daylight system shadow bias?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
707 Views, 5 Replies

MR Daylight system shadow bias?

I'm probably missing something very basic and trivial, but I can't seem to figure out a way (or find through hours of google searching) a way to get the shadows of these shoulder bolts (circled in red) to actually "attach" to where these bolts intersect the blue composite material.  Based on these shadows, you would think the bolts are seperated from the blue composite strip, however, they actually intersect.

I know when it comes to configuring shadow maps for other lights, you can adjust the "bias" so that the shadows display correctly, but I cannot find any bias controls for the MR Sky or MR Sun.  I've tried disabling "shadow maps" in the "shadows & displacement" section of the Renderer tab of the Render Setup, hoping that would force ray-trace only--but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Most likely it is either flipped normals or your model is too far away from the origin.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for your response, griff.  I moved the bolt to 0,0,0 and checked the normals of both objects (unified and flipped [and displayed] just to make sure), but that made no difference.

It did occur to me though that the scene extents may be affecting the shadows for small objects... so I reduced my "ocean" plane mesh from a 3 mile radius to a 530 foot radius, and that seemed to make all the difference.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Now just add a render multiplier to your ocean plane...

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Wow, that's a useful tip, Doughboy!  I wasn't even aware of such a thing.  From a google search, I found that it seems to be a parameter associated with planes... Is there a way to apply it to a circle converted to an editable mesh/poly?  Not that the shape really matters in this case.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Not that I know of...wouldn't realy work as far as I know. It does introduce some "tiling" effect...fyi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report