Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matte/Shadow

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gdona2
434 Views, 6 Replies

Matte/Shadow

I hope that someone can help me with what I thought would be a simple task.  I am using Max '23 with Arnold.  I have been trying to use Matte/Shadow to remove my floor plane but keep the shadows.  Pretty standard it would seem but I must be doing something incorrectly, or trying to use the feature in a way it was not designed, because even after reading many posts and watching a lot of videos I have been unable to make it work.  Finally I tried to keep it simple and start a new file that has a plane, a sphere and an Arnold light set to skydome.  Basically I want to render the sphere where I do not see the plane but I do see the shadows.  Is that even possible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am very new to Max after a 20 year break, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of your posts, videos, tips, tricks, forum posts and everything else that you do!

Greg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gdona2
in reply to: gdona2

So I have been doing more experimentation and I have made this simple scene work by using an HDR map for the light.  Is this normal?  Is is not an option to use a preset like a fluorescent light?

Message 3 of 7
kerrifagerlund

hi
Message 4 of 7
kerrifagerlund

hi

Message 5 of 7
gdona2
in reply to: kerrifagerlund

Hi

Message 6 of 7
CiroCardoso3v

Share a simple scene so that we can have a look.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
gdona2
in reply to: CiroCardoso3v

If you render this scene, no shadow.  If you add an .hdr to the texture on the light it works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report