Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low-Light Arnold Renderings Are Just Noise & Fireflies

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
saintr
1125 Views, 3 Replies

Low-Light Arnold Renderings Are Just Noise & Fireflies

Hi gang,

Apologies in advance. I'm returning to 3DS Max after a 10-year hiatus and am trying to do a simple interior lighting study for a client and using Arnold in the 2021 version. I have a low-light interior scene and followed all of Jose M. Elizardo's lighting and denoising tutorials but nothing is improving these (bumped up direct & indirect illumination and specular sampling) and tried the denoiser (Optix just prevents anything from rendering). They just look like pointillist paintings. Attaching the file and a render pass. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
madsd
in reply to: saintr

I deleted your lights and all materials, there was a lot of unoptimal things.
Scrapped your environment and render settings tweaked a bit, lights have 3 samples.

It renders in a couple of minutes without using a denoiser, and is a good starting point.
Attached scene

qweqweqwe.png

Message 3 of 4
saintr
in reply to: madsd

Awesome, thanks. Will try to hash out the low-level lighting solution from here.

Message 4 of 4
madsd
in reply to: saintr

Use Arnold lights if you want to tinker with artificial lights like spots and so forth.
The 4 top windows are connected so you can just edit 1 and all other windows follow, you can dial them down, give them some blue, add some yellowish spots for evening.

Not entirely sure what lowlight is but I guess something of that nature.

Use physical materials and OSL or Arnold shaders, avoid the old legacy maps if you can, they bring nothing good to the table.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report