Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

led cove light (begginer)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4587 Views, 5 Replies

led cove light (begginer)

Hello, im trying to simulate led cove light, something simmilar to this:
http://ecoglare.com/gallery/data/images/Picture053.jpg or 
http://static0.asmira.com/photo/57/309957/album/2333534_720.jpg or 
http://www.gipsmont.sk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/v1.jpg

my main prob is light going through  lowered ceeling object (shadows off, material (white concrete) applied to object - as i googled this might be the prob). I used photometric line light.

noshadows.jpg

ceeling is made from 1 solid object (1 box extruded from edge of another). 

Usse of shadows is creating unwanted effect of shadowing central pillar of lowered ceeling, even if i put all objects to exclude from shadow casting.
with shadows.jpg

The reason im writing on forums for help is because im in a hurry. I am reconstructing flat, which needs to be reconstructed in time my girlfriend gives a birth and work is on hold, because i don't want to do it without proper visualisation of different variants. Althought i enjoyed youtubeing videos and experimenting with max 10h/day these past days and i would gladly get there slowly and learning on the way, i have a big time issue so i need help. If anyone could have a look at this issue, have link to forums or videos where this was discussed, or any other kind of help, it would be much appreciated. ( .max/.3ds room with proper light/render settings, for night and for daylight from windows where i can simply import all furniture and stuff would be absolutely the best )

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
alexalduk
in reply to: Anonymous

I have a similar question... Can anyone answer please??

I'm trying to create/use a 90mm led downlight to simulate installation in my ceilings. They are 13w, 859 lumens, projecting at 90 degrees at 3000 kelvins. Is there anything out there that can simulate this precisely?

Many thanks!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

No,

according to Autodesk, and their developmers, real meshlights in 3ds Max and Mental Ray is not what users want or need. It's been considered to be VFX feature, that's why Maya guys have it.

Message 4 of 6
alexalduk

Hi Rawalanche,

Thanks for getting back to me so quicly!

I understood approximately none of that... So, are you saying that this feature is not good enough for 3ds Max, but it is for Maya?

Or is there a plug-in for 3ds Max to allow this feature?

If not, is there a program out there that can do as good a job in creating a house to such immaculate detail? If so, I'll drop 3ds Max in a heartbeat!

Many thanks,

Alex

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: alexalduk

If you need accurate illumination from non-primitive light sources (LED neons for example), then just use different renderer. Vray for example. Mental Ray has ability to render mesh lights (scene geometry that emits light as is if was regular light source) but Autodesk incredibly sucks at proper implementation of Mental Ray in 3ds Max, so although MR itself supports the feature, MR in 3ds Max does not.
Message 6 of 6
alexalduk

Looks like I'll be switching ove to MR... Thanks for your input!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report