Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I render to elements separate for each light source

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
557 Views, 3 Replies

How do I render to elements separate for each light source

Hi Everybody

Back here after many many years.

I am wondering if there is a way in a single render pass to render to elements separately for each light source. This would give a lot of flexibility when compositing. Lets say I have three light sources. I want for example the diffuse render element separate for each light source. I do not want to switch on one light at a time and render. That would involve three renders and if each render takes 15 hours or so, it would take very long to do all three renders, one for each light. I want to be able to get the render elements to be output for each separate light in a single render pass. Is this possible? and how?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Rasheed

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BenBisares
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe that States Sets should be what you're looking for (Rendering > State Sets...). You can create sets for each light and then perform a "Render All States".

Thoughts?

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: BenBisares

Hi Ben. Great to hear from you again. Sorry for the late reply, but have been really busy. I was not aware or used State Sets before this. Yes, this is definately a solution. Thanks a million for pointing me in the correct direction.

BTW, on a side note, how did posting to the forums, automatically translate into an Autodesk Support Case. Were you involved, or is every post here taken as a support case?

Thanks once again.

Regards

Rasheed

Message 4 of 4
BenBisares
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Rasheed,

Good to hear from you too; it's been a while.

A forum post will be escalated to Autodesk Technical Support once it meets 2 criteria:

• Posted from an account that is under subscription
  • Has not been marked as solved after a certain amount of time

Ben Bisares

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report