Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding part of an object from render

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
320 Views, 1 Reply

Excluding part of an object from render

Hey everyone, I've been looking for an answer to this question for about a week and I haven't found an answer so I decided to ask here. My situation is as follows:

Basically, I have a plane that I want to render (in yellow)

Plane.PNG

This plane is going to occasionally collide with another object (teal)

Collision.PNG

What I am looking for is a way to take everything on one side of the collision (red)

Area.PNG

And stop it from being rendered so it looks like this:

Final.PNG

I know I could use an opacity map on the plane and keyframe it so each time it collides with the object it makes the top half invisible, but the object it will collide with will be moving across it at multiple angles and it would take a huge amount of effort to keyframe all of that.

Is there a way I could place something like a Box shape linked to the colliding object (like the red one I used to show the part I would like to not render), then set it up so any part of the plane (and only the plane, as the Box would likely clip into other objects that I need rendered) that is within the Box would not render, and then I could just set the Box opacity to 0 before I render to hide that part of the plane?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Try the "Slice" modifier.

Animate its Gizmo, or constrain it to the collision object by instancing its controller.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report