Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double sided materials render issues

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3020 Views, 6 Replies

Double sided materials render issues

Not sure what Im doing wrong here but the opacity map is not doing this job. Im using 3d Max 2011 unding Windows 8 with Vray 3.0. I am using a standard double sided material. I created the materials and the sample slot renders OK. I applied this to a mesh after applying a UVW mapping modifier using the face option.It displays OK in the viewpoint but not in the Active Renderer or the Production renderer for that matter. Any suggestions please would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CAMedeck
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you save out the material into a temporary Material Library (*.mat) and post it here?

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: CAMedeck

As requested. I couldnt upload as mat file so I added to archive

Message 4 of 7
CAMedeck

With a Standard material, adjusting the Opacity does not affect the Specular reflections.  So you can have a map cutting out part of your material, but the specular reflections will still show up in those areas.  It's been a while since I've dealt with Standard materials, but you may need to add a Mix map to the Specular Level.  Use your opacity map as the Mask, then adjust the white color swatch in the Mix down to get the right amount of specular highlight on your leaves.

Chris Medeck
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

That shouldn't be necessary I would have thought. You didn't mention if
you were using Vray as your renderer but I would be interested what
results you got if you had rendered this material if you would remind
that is
Message 6 of 7
CAMedeck

If you are using V-Ray, then use a V-Ray material instead of Standard.  The VrayMtl has a Cutout slot that does exactly what you're looking for.  The image masks everything, including the specularity.  That was always one downfall of the Standard material.

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I should be asking what is the best material to use with vray. I get it thanks I'll give it a go

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report