Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark viewport / dark materials 3ds max 2017

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Judith.Hageman
6699 Views, 6 Replies

Dark viewport / dark materials 3ds max 2017

Hi,

I can't seem to solve my "light" problem in the view ports.

I use the new physical material, which works fine for the rendering, but looks awfully dark in the view ports.

I have tried all different Lighting and show options in the view port, changed my driver to the previous one, but nothing seems to work.

I use Sunpositioner as light source.

Anyone an other suggestion?

Greetz, Judith

viewport

light viewport.jpg

rendering

rendering viewport.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hello @Judith.Hageman,

The easiest way to prevent the dark viewports is to change it from High Quality to Standard.  When it comes to high end rendering, it's seldom going to match the viewport which is why activeshade is so popular in iRay and VrayRT.  I personally prefer it without the black shadowed areas as you do, and I just use Standard viewport to get that.  If that's not working for you, maybe you could attach a scene for me with simple boxes that's having the problem and I'd be happy to take a look.

Best Regards, 

Message 3 of 7

Hello Afred,

Thanks for your answer.

The funny thing is, in High Quality I can see more of my design than with Standard view.

I make renderings and animations of mechanical designs, mostly made from stainless steel, and with a lot of small parts.

Attached you will find a scene with three of the materials I use, especially the RVS material causes the problem. That is the one that turns black in the view ports. I have tried to turn the end result off and on, but that doesn't make any difference.

If you have any more suggestions that would be great.

Best Regards,

Judith

PS I hope the scene is complete. The zip-file made with Archive was rejected during posting.

Message 4 of 7

Hello @Judith.Hageman,

I've recorded a short video here, please let me know if you have any issues or questions.  I think that the problem just comes down to material settings and I went over some of that in the video.  

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 7

Hello Alfred,

Thank you very much for your short video, very helpful, I can work with all your suggestions.

In my original scene I indeed use a physical camera as you mentioned which isn't present in the test scene I send you. 

Thanks again for your time and effort,

Best Regards,

Judith

Message 6 of 7

I am always happy to help @Judith.Hageman, thanks for the kind words.  Also thanks for the file!  I can't tell you how much that helps to solve these sorts of issues....

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Please try:

View > viewport Per-View Setting > Default lights > 2 default lights > Ok

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report