Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dark render output

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
40079 Views, 12 Replies

dark render output

I dont understand why the file that saves to my computer is darker than the 3ds max preview render. (see attachment) I tried disaabling gamma correction but did not like the effects it had on the image. The image in 3ds max is exactly how I want it. I tried color corecting my image sequence in after effects but did not achieve what I wanted however I only tried breify. 

Thanks for your help!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Your "Output gamma" is set to 1.0

For LDR (Low dynamic range) images such as jpg, png, tif, tga you need to set it to 2.2 to get the correct result. 

Only for HDR (High dynamic range) images such as exr or hdr do you need an output gamma of 1.0

Alternatively, you can leave it at 1.0 and when choosing the location and filename of your image set the gamma to "Override" and 2.2 at the bottom of the window. You'll have to do this for every image that isn't an hdr or exr though. So if you're mainly rendering out to LDR images you're best off setting the "Output Gamma" to 2.2

For more info on why this happens, just google "Linear workflow". A lot of people have explained it in blogs or tutorials such as this one: http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=1552

M.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks a lot

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Till not geting the picture

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

You can also fix it in after effects with the gamma correction.  Just adjust the Red, Green, and Blue gamma values to 2.2 and it should match what you see in your render.

Message 6 of 13
Samuelbarcenas

Hi all, i did the change to the gamma but still no solving my trouble dou you fin another solution seems theres a trouble with the save as dialog

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Samuelbarcenas

Saving an PNG I got the issue solved just selecting this option:

teste.jpg

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Having the same issue and gamma adjustment just makes the render flat.  Anyone know where I can adjust the image save settings for 3ds Max as seen in the image above for Maya?

Message 9 of 13
arch_yasir

dear

i make the gamma 2.2 but still same problem

the render is very good but after save it coming very dark , please need heeeeeeeeeelp

thank you

Message 10 of 13
arch_yasir

i have same problem and i try with gamma but nothing , i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed help please 1.JPGkhh.jpg

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: arch_yasir

I had similar uses and I got it solved by CHANGING THE GAMMA OPTION FROM AUTOMATIC TO OVERIDE.

IT WAS FORMERLY AT 1.0

BUT I CHANGED IT TO 2.2

THEN PLACE IT  BACK TO AUTOMATIC.

the gamma option is at the lower left corner of the save image dialog box after inputting the file name

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

The gamma to change is the gamma at the preferences settings,  it's the gamma value at the save image dialog box...don't make the mistake again...the gamma value at the preference settings must be 2.2.

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report