Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't unwrap a sky box

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1578 Views, 8 Replies

Can't unwrap a sky box

I have some nice space skybox textures that I want to put on a skybox and then export to use in UDK. It's easy to apply them to a box and it looks fine, but I can only have one diffuse map in UDK, so I need to get all 6 textures in the right place in one texture square. I tried rendering to texture, but this only works if the box is unwrapped and that ruins the alignment of the textures and I can't see how I will get them all properly lined up again.

I feel sure there must be some straightforward way to do this - I have the box looking right, I just need to export it - and feel a bit stupid, but I can't work it out and can't find it here or on the web.

If actually, this is really awkward, I am open to other suggestions, but I would like to use the space textures I have. I know a skydome/skysphere is what I would be using ideally, but I don't have the right texture for that.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blakestone
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe you could included all your Skybox Textures into a single texture file and then Unwrap your Skybox to this?

Another option is setting up all your Skybox Textures again into a vertical cubic formation and then convert it to a Latitude/Longitude or other preferred setting using a program such as HDR Shop... remove all the leg-work from Autodesk 3dsMax!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: blakestone

Thanks for the suggestion. I can unwrap the box, render out a template and try and line up all the images to it in Photoshop, but I can't see that I'm going to get it pixel perfect as it is now and I'm going to wind up with obvious seams. If you have any bright ideas for how I might do this i'd be delighted to hear them.
Message 4 of 9
blakestone

your welcome to email me your 6 images and i can arrange them for you?
email: blakestone(at)live.com
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you, you're very kind. I have emailed them to you.

As I've said in the email, in case anyone else is interested, I can line them up in Photoshop and create a UV Template, but it's matching those two up seamlesly that I can't do - I have tried to attach screenshots.

Message 6 of 9
blakestone

I apologise for the delayed response, my day has been very hectic.
I have emailed you the CUBE and PANORAMIC files including the 3dsMax file so you can see how they're setup.

Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

It did help - it made me go back to the UV editor and see what things I had been missing, which were the grid snap, and the individual coordinates figures at the bottom (I normally work with edges and faces so these are always empty and I hadn't really processed them). So now I can get my layout lined up exactly with the edge of the texture square and it's all good.

Thanks again for all your help.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

@Anonymous and @blakestone 4 years later, I have the same problem! I've spent many hours already trying to get UVW rights but seams are getting me insane and low quality final result.

Any chance I can get the same perfectly Unwrapped Cube with the UVW Template please?

Thank you so much for helping
Message 9 of 9
blakestone

send me your images and will set this up for you - blakestone@live.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report