Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't tile/texture

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
550 Views, 6 Replies

Can't tile/texture

I'm a beginner at 3DS MAX, and modeling in general. I've been doing nice, like this knife i was trying to make, but the problem is, i can't texture it, and if i try to tile it.Seems like the tile is too big and i only see moving colors on the objectScreenshot_10.pngScreenshot_11.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Here's a video. I can texture another things like if i make a box i can texture it. But this knife, or another objects i made. I can't. 
I made thsi knife using a reference image, creating a box, then deleting it's vertices, and creating a polygon. Like in this tuto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tgy0lBdJK0

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

anyone? =c

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

If you can upload a copy of your file I will look at it for you
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi, the problem is pretty simple. You need UV mapping on all of your objects.

To find the problem is one thing, to master uv mapping is another thing.

You will find a lot of tutorials on Youtube for the different techniques you can use, search for 3ds Max UV map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtHYHXogotw

You can have fast techniques with not so good map or very complex technique to have perfect map, without distortion, with the seams aligned correctly.

In your case, the fastest way but not so good is to apply a simple UVW Map modifier to each parts of your knife, and select box or planar. For good map, use the Unwrap UVW to unwrap the UV, map that you can use later in photoshop to create your own texture.

Very important topic.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks everyone, i did it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report