Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baking PBR textures while keeping maps intact

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
640 Views, 4 Replies

Baking PBR textures while keeping maps intact

Hi everyone! I am having a problem and I hope someone can help me.
What I have:
1. Multi-object Turret model.

2. Four sets of unwrapped textures for said model, each with base color, height, normal, emmisive, roughness and metallic maps.

3. A pair of crooked hands ๐Ÿ™‚

I need to combine all sets of maps into one set. So that at the output I get one base color, one height, one normal, one emmisive, one roughness and one metallic.

I was able to redistribute and pack UVW islands in a new channel and even tried to bake textures, but then a problem appeared: the rendered maps are very different from the original ones. They have a different hue, rough heights and normals, and so on. So my question is this: How to bake maps without these changes? I suspect that new maps are generated anew rather than compiled from old ones. So is it possible to somehow preserve the original quality of the maps or Max will redo everything in his own way?

I hope I have explained it clearly. If not, please ask questions. I will be glad for any help.

Tags (3)
Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
oliver
in reply to: Anonymous

Just to make sure:

• did you apply your original maps (except the base color map) with a gamma-value of 1.0?
  • did you apply your re-rendered maps (except the base color map) with a gamma-value of 1.0?
  • did you set (if possible) the weight of each map to 1?

I did some tests just now and besides some anti-aliasing differences all my baked maps look exactly like the input maps (color-hue, normals, ...).

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: oliver

Thanks for your reply! Well I'm pretty sure that I applied override to 1. But I'll double check that to be sure. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: oliver

I did find a problem and it was on my end. It was simple "forgot to save changes" thing. I set gamma to 1 and it all worked like a charm. Thanks again for sorting this out.

Message 5 of 5
a.kirankumarr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi ,
By the way how did you bake each of the material attribute?
one base color, one hieght etc?
Thanks
Kiran

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report