Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold Rendering with viewport materials advise..

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
nintenjo64
253 Views, 1 Reply

Arnold Rendering with viewport materials advise..

Hi All,

We use Arnold to render a lot of our content which is great and generally works ok. However due to the way arnold works we generally cant see any of our materials in the max viewport..  We have generally tried to stick with Arnold compliant nodes so that we can use the GPU rendering but this includes OSL nodes. 

Trouble is some arnold nodes such as 'Curvature', 'Ambient Occlusion' and even UVW (OSL) for vertex colors simply dont work in the viewport. 

nintenjo64_0-1711529400615.png

Here is an example materials we might have setup, which renders fine, but makes the viewport virtually redundent for any editing other than polygon information.

I should be clear i am no expecting arnold nodes to work in viewports however wondered if there is a way to have approximations of the materials so you can at least see bitmaps, color correction etc for generaly balancing, uv editing function. With the more advanced features like curvature only being visible in renders?

How do other people work with Arnold for rendering whilst still retain a decent modelling / texturing workflow? I considered Active Shade viewports but they are so slow you cant really use them for anything that requires quick iteration IMO.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: nintenjo64

I could be wrong, but Curvature and AO are calculated at rendering time, that is the reason why even with an Ambient Occlusion OSL isn't supported in the viewport as you can see here

CiroCardoso3v_0-1712037825938.png

Usually, the lookdev of assets should be done before scene assembly, which will improve massively the viewport and scene performance.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report