Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold Normal map issue

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
brunoluccasrj
1065 Views, 2 Replies

Arnold Normal map issue

I'm working on a scene and i realized that whenever i try to render using Arnold renderer, the normal map on my character is looking really off, as if the normals were all screwed, and there are also some lighting artifacts on the model.

i'm using Physical Material, and i have tried applying both Normal: Map and the legacy Normal Bump maps to the Bump slot on the Physical Material, with my normal map connected to it, i have also tried using Arnold's Standard Surface instead. The normal map looks perfectly fine on the viewport both on shaded and high quality shaders, but whenever i try to render it, it's scuffed. I realized that when i try to render it with any other renderer, it's fine, i tried ART renderer, Quicksilver, and even Scanline, but Arnold has features that i kind of need in this project. After rendering on Art i also realized how different the reflections look, as if there was metalness on the undersuit part, any clues?
(Ignore the tubes looking more shiny on Art Renderer, that's due to an "Invert" map that is connected to it's roughness, and Art renderer doesn't support this map.)

Arnold Render:

Arnold_Render.jpg

Art Render:

Art_Render.jpg

  

brunoluccasrj_0-1645498552775.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

A couple of things

Is the gamma for the normal map - 1.0? 

Also, using the Arnold Normal node, have you clicked the option to invert Y?

Never used Art or Scanline, but the differences in roughness are probably due to a different implementation of the PBR workflow. What I am seeing from the previews, is what happens you plug a glossiness map into the roughness slot. A simple solution is inverting the glossiness map before connecting it to the roughness map. 

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 3

Thank you for answering, i managed to find a solution after a few hours, it is as you mentioned, the Gamma override was part of it, or maybe the whole problem, i will leave a few screenshots here for whoever runs into the same issue:

893-material.jpg

892-gammaandlut.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report