Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold matte shadow reflection problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
eodeo
874 Views, 5 Replies

Arnold matte shadow reflection problem

I can't get Arnold reflection in the matte material with the shadow map plugged in to work properly. It looks like a pale substitute to what mental ray/ART had back in Max 2017. It appears Arnold does not have a way to render direct reflections on the matte material, only indirect reflections- which is what appears to cause this problem. See the images.

Here is Arnold in Max 2020:

Arnold Max 2020Arnold Max 2020

Here is ART in Max 2017:

ART Max 2017ART Max 2017

Not only are the reflections looking proper and not ghost like with ART, I can also easily plug in a noise map to simulate the waves. I'd like to learn to do the same thing in Arnold if possible. Thank you.

Max file is attached with both Max 2020 and 2017 versions. You need mental ray installed for 2017 version with ART to work properly.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: eodeo

Did you find a solution to this? I've been going crazy try to find a way.

Message 3 of 6
madsd
in reply to: Anonymous

For now, you can set up some AOV's, since you use matte for a post purpose you might as well knock out some AOV's that does what you want.

The matte is not able to do what you want, but you can solve it with a couple of layers instead of 1.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: madsd

Are you saying that i should use an AIStandard shader on the plane and just extract the shadows and reflections in the AOV’s? This will give me the correct values?

Message 5 of 6
madsd
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds about right, all you are interested in is a high IOR so you get a mirror image, you can fade in, in post so it looks like you want.

Message 6 of 6
eodeo
in reply to: madsd

I was hoping Autodesk would fix this. Since they didn't, could you please tell me how to setup AOVs to get the proper refleciton?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report