Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viewport canvas resolution issue

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
transistor06
2598 Views, 5 Replies

viewport canvas resolution issue

(I'm not exactly certain which area to post this in, so feel free to move it).

Hello, I just upgraded to 2014, and over all it seems like there's been a ton of improvements.  But I have a new, and very annoying issue with viewport canvas.  I'm hoping there is a simple button/setting to fix it, but I'm not sure where. 

My problem is that when I actually enable the paint tool, and engage with the texture, the texture appears pixelated and low-res.  Once I disable the paint tool the texture appears smooth again.

Essentially when I am painting - the texture appears very low-res.  This is extremely annoying as it makes the final appearance somewhat unpredictable.

This was not a problem with my previous version of max (2011), so I'm hoping there is a simple setting to fix it.  Attached is an example of what's happening.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
transistor06
in reply to: transistor06

Hey again, quick follow up...

I am able to fix the problem by changing my display driver to "legacy direct3D"

If I use Nitrous 9 or 11, I get this problem. Kinda sucks.

But this is kind of a work around.

BTW, does ANYONE know how to actually contact autodesk tech support????  I cannot find a link or contact email ANYWHERE... it just links me to this forum.  SUPPOSEDLY after 24 hours if no one answers my question this thread gets sent to tech support?  I'm not so sure about that...

I believe what I found is actually a BUG, not a setting.  I'd love to let them know about it...

Message 3 of 6
Steve_Curley

Help > Speak Back > Report a Problem

If you're on Subscription you can raise a ticket via the Subscriptions site.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

When you're in the Nitrous viewport, does it help setting the Viewport texture map to a higher resolution?

Press Alt+B to get to the viewport configuration menu quickly and then look under "Display Perfomance".

M.

Message 5 of 6
transistor06
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks Steve, that's SUPER helpful!

And thanks Midge, yeah, unfortunely I tried that one already.  Basically, yes, it does improve the resolution under normal conditions... EXCEPT when I click the brush tool (or start using any tool) from the viewport canvas tool set.

Once I disable the tool, the res goes back to normal.  So, basically, when I'm using the tool, it over rides any of my settings, and appears "low res."

Like I said, I have a temporary work around by using legacy direct 3D.  I think it's a bug, as I repoduced it on 2 different computers.

But interesting thing is that both computers use AMD cards.  They are different models... but yeah.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  I'm not sure.

But anyways, thanks again!

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

thx all, i change below the red block my 1024 texture in viewport cnavas are not go to the low resolution anymore

Texturemaps-> 512 to 1024(or else

texture_viewportcanvaslowresolution.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report