Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UVW Map and UVW Unwrap not updating in render

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1788 Views, 2 Replies

UVW Map and UVW Unwrap not updating in render

Hello, I desperately need help on this topic because I have been tourturing myself with this problem all day and could not fin a solution...so the problem is, I want to model a wooden planks wall as shown in photos, but when I assign material to the planks it just stretches across planks or as these little boxes as shown in picture, and does not look realistic. I have tried unwraping each plank one by one, I have assigned UVW map to each plank one by one and the texture changes in the viewport but when I run test render nothing changes at all..ever....please help, I dont know what to do anymore, I am afraid that I am going to smack my PC against the wall 😭

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

A few questions for you that the screenshots do not help with:

1. Do each of the planks exist as a separate object or are they combined into a single object like an editable poly?

2. You mention both UVW map and Unwrap UVW in your title.  These are different UVW mapping techniques.  In your text, you say only that you use UVW Map. Did you also use Unwrap UVW?  

3. Whichever type of UV Mapping you used, did you apply it to all the  planks at the same time or does each plank have its own UV map modifier assigned?  

4. Please post a screenshot of your plank object and the modifier stack with the UV map modifier rollout as it will help a lot in troubleshooting your problem.

Message 3 of 3
jibijib
in reply to: 10DSpace

To get a completely accurate mapping to bitmap, either go into UVW Map and click on 'bitmap fit' or in the uvw editor, select the poly you want to fit correctly open the relax dialogue box and use 'Start Relax'.

If you want to map quickly, select the object, and go to mapping and 'normal mapping', and select box mapping in the dialogue box. This splits the mesh into elements and can easily be worked on.

Do you have the correct material ID assigned ? This looks like something stupid and easy to fix. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report