Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV Editor Question?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
585 Views, 3 Replies

UV Editor Question?

Is there a Way to use the Pack Custom function in the UV Editor to decide in which UDIM do you want to pack the Elements (Fe: I have 2 Elements in U1V1 and I want one of them to be Packed Custom in U5V3, but if i select that Element it's just packed in the U1V1)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Unfortunately, the answer is No.  Pack Custom packs everything or whatever you have selected into the U1V1 tile only.  What I do when I am setting up UV tiles is to make separate material IDs for the polygons that I want to be in separate UV tiles.  Then with the dropdown list in the UV Editor Window you can select 1 UV Tile  set of polys at a time, Unwrap and pack them.   When done with unwrapping and packing individual tiles they will all be in the  U1V1 tile, but now you can select by material ID and move them  via offset to the UV tiles you want.   In case you are not aware, you can make material ID assignments via the UV Editor in the Material ID section of the rollout which is handy to not have to go back to Editable poly to do so. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thank you for your assistance, that was a very helpful advice. I'm aware of the material ID's and I've found a great way to properly pack custom in the UV tile that you desire: When done dealing with the ID's, select the ID and in the Move modifier, instead of moving them with the cursor, change the value of the U and V coordinates down in the UV editor, this way once one ID is packed, if you move them +1U, +1V, they're placed in the U2V2.

Message 4 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

You are welcome.  Yes, the "Offset" function in the UV Editor is the way to go for moving the UV islands into different UV tiles once you have them unwrapped and packed.  I think your post made this clearer to those not familiar with it as I only briefly mentioned 'moving them via offset'.  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report