Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units - export STL - 3d printing.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bashment
206 Views, 1 Reply

Units - export STL - 3d printing.

Hi, I am trying to 3D print a rotating turntable using a headset lower bearing for smoothness. 

I did some test rings to check the ID and OD of the bearing. The OD was spot on. The ID needed tweeking. However, knowing I had to deal with real world size, I went into the units settings and without looking deep, set it to Metric as bearings are measured in mm. And somehow it failed and worked :

At this point I need everything working in mm. The slicing software (anycubic) is in mm by default. 

When I import the rings, the slicer complains : The object is too small

Screenshot 2023-11-29 155808.png

If I say no, the model is less than 10% size required. When I scale up 1000% it is still a bit too small.
If I say yes, the model is perfectly sized. 

Bemused I went on to try making the model. When I import the base, I get the complaint, do the same thing and it prints correct size. But when I import the top plate of this model which is bigger, it seems too big to trigger the complaint and doesn't offer to convert it. 

For now I am doing a test print, using the scale tool to upscale it to the correct diameter, trusting it will be the right proportions but I don't know if this will work. 

I assume I have done something wrong in the settings although I can't think how you can set it to metric and this is the outcome when exporting to another software. I see other people have suffered similar but the said solution didn't work for some people. 

If anyone knows exactly what has gone wrong here I'd appreciate some help. Thank you

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
VincentSheehan
in reply to: bashment

I have a Bambu Lab printer and I get this from time to time. Did you set the Display Unit Scale to Metric or did you set the System Unit Setup Scale to Millimeters? 

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report