Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The model clearly has hard edges, but it still looks smooth. What's the matter?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
adamhahaEU2VH
763 Views, 2 Replies

The model clearly has hard edges, but it still looks smooth. What's the matter?

This model is imported through FBX.

The automatic smoothing setting of 0 is useless. It shows that the hard edges are really green and hard edges, and it is useless to press "hard" again.(as shown in Figure 2)

It is not a problem with smoothing groups. It is still the case when all smoothing groups are set to 1.

After UVW expansion, it is not a UVW problem.

This problem can be solved after Tessellate, as shown in Figure 3, but the problem is that I want to know why this happens and how to judge such smooth and wrong objects in a large scene through script (of course, I will study the script first)

Original, FBX importedOriginal, FBX importedAlthough the hard edge is displayed and I pressed the "hard" button, it is still wrongAlthough the hard edge is displayed and I pressed the "hard" button, it is still wrongAfter Tessellate, the model is correctAfter Tessellate, the model is correct

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Try to reset normals - Edit Normals modifier, select all and click reset. Imported model from other applications can sometimes have broken or locked normals.

Message 3 of 3

Thank you. It's really a normal problem. Click to flip the normal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report