Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling multiple vertices around different centers

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1044 Views, 3 Replies

Scaling multiple vertices around different centers

I'm trying to scale multiple vertices on a plane.  Basically, I want to make multiple circular shapes in one operation.  

For a single circle, I select the vertices and scale and it's perfect.

Example:

Untitled-1.jpg

For multiple circles, it's not using the local center of each "circle" but rather the center of both cirlces combined

Example:

Untitled-3.jpg

THIS is what I'm trying to achieve below.  I did each of these circles individually but I want to do up to 15 circles.

Does this have to do with selection center?  Making a selection set?  Different transform center?....

Thanks for any help!  

Untitled-2a.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Fadhil_Farook
in reply to: Anonymous

No... It has to do with you working on One Object mate... Here's a simple workaround.

1. Make only one circle first and delete the polygons surrounding it (See attachment -1).

2. When you're done making the circle, clone that object as an INSTANCE instead of a COPY and move it adjacent to the original (see attachment -2). Make as many INSTANCES as you like and move them where you want. Use SNAPS by pressing "S" on the keyboard if necessary, as it makes aligning easier.

3. When you have made your copies, you can then select just any one of the planes you've made and then work on it, and all changes that you make on that one plane will be Instantly replicated on all the other Planes.

4. When you're finished, if you need to attach them all together, Select all of them and Convert them back into editable poly to make them Unique before converging into one model. Then after you can use WELD function to weld all the unconnected vertices.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Fadhil_Farook

Thanks!  Even though it's not ideally how I wanted to model, it works.

So just to be clear... there's no way to do what I'm wanting to do, correct? 

I'm assuming it's because it's scaling points on a single object which only has one center and scaling multiple sections of vertices would need multiple centers (which isn't possible)? 

Thanks for your help 🙂  

Message 4 of 4
Irshad_Shah_3dArtist
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi friend 

Just go to polygon mode and select both polys.

Select use pivot center in scale. Now you can get the result.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report