Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running away from ngons

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
2571 Views, 23 Replies

Running away from ngons

i created some text using 3ds max text tool and i convert it to edit poly but problem is when i do this i have to always go in and manually connect vertices to get perfect quads which is really time consuming is there an easier way to accomplish this? Capture.JPG

Tags (2)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

http://populate3d.com/products/terrain/
It won't be perfect but will do most of the hard work for you. You may find it easier to detach each letter and work on them individually.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

This is pretty good but stil its not a clean solution to my problem, it helps alot but it creates triangles and ngons in some places but i wanted just quads, i guess no one has come up with a solution for that yet. IDK if i should accept this as a solution but its definately a big help
Message 4 of 24
Steve_Curley

Dont worry - I wouldn't accept it as a perfect solution either 😉

Problem is, it's not easy to do, even manually, so to do it "mathematically" is very difficult, and even when something gets close, it's rarely perfect.

Take the capital M for example. There's 2 ways I can see to do it, one is quick but is a bit of a cheat because it alters the original vertex placement, the other is a lot more long winded (takes a fair bit of time and effort) but does retain the original vertex placement at the cost of a lot more polys. May be others, but I don't know them.

Brownie points if you can come up with both methods 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

Take a look at this for instance, i have ajob right now where i have to make editable poly object from a spline but it is a complicated thing because if i dont have perfect quads or just simply good vertex connections to form faces then when i apply turbsmooth the shape won't smooth the way i wanted and it needs to be and it is a very huge model so i have to do this manually which is such a paint connecting vertices after vertices. i think what is needed is some plugin that looks at the shape and connects vertices to vertices or vertices to edges at a right angle or tangent to the original vertex the connection will be made from in that case there can be alot more faces but that would work in instances like this because later one it is no problem to run pro optimizer  and optimize the shape but a tool like this would be a big time saver since i always just get sketches from clients or just AI files i need to import or even autocad files which in the end turns out to be such a pain in the ****. I wish i has the time to learn how to have such a plugin or script but sadly i don't.Capture.JPG

Message 6 of 24
Steve_Curley

Ahh - ok. With an object like that what you need are quads around the outside of the object - triangles/ngons never smooth properly. So, working on each "branch" separately, select the inner (crossing) edges and Connect them - 2 new edge loops and use the Slide to move them so they're closer to the outsides, The middle of each section is less important because that will likely be flat and not cause too many problems.
What I would probably do is to take the existing object, select the Border around the whole thing (plus any "islands" if there are any) and extrude (Shift+Move) them up. Then, working on each branch, you can Shift+Scale the edges inwards a little (which should give you quads in the right places) then bridge the gap beween them. You may get some triangles depending on the number of vertices on each side, but they'll be in the middle where they matter less.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

These are good workarounds but the interior of the leaves will be connected too and after wards will go in mudbox or zbrush for sculpting, i just tried it on a part of the object and got strange results in some areas, would it be too much for your to demonstrate something like this with images steve?
Message 8 of 24
Steve_Curley

If you're taking stuff to Mudbox then you really must have quads, but you really don't want to use any smoothing in Max - do all the subdivision and sculpting in Mudbox. Depending on what you want to do with it afterwards, bring in back to Max having created Normal maps and stuff in Mudbox - that's the normal workflow for games assets (keeps the poly count down).
How is the end result going to be used? Post a scene (zipped!) with the original Splines and I'll have a look, though the end result does have an impact - horses for courses (to coin a phrase).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

The model will be used for machining on a cnc machine. see the attached for the model i have been slaving away at it all day

Message 10 of 24
Steve_Curley

Well, I can see why you'd want an automated method - that is going to be very difficult however you attack it. 😞
You've a few anomalies you need to fix, then I'd just go around it, toggling the smoothing on/off and adding extra cuts across each section where necessary. To get those sharp corners create a new edge so you have 2 vertices very close to each other, one either side of where the original one was. A long and painstaking job, as you already found 😞

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous

very and not to mention i have alot more, a tool to accomplish such a task would be a god send for not just me but alot of people
Message 12 of 24
Steve_Curley

I quite agree. Have you checked Scriptspot just in case?

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

yeah i have but if it does exist am not searching with the right keywords it seems, scriptspot is always my first go to place.
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous

Well i found something there  is a plugin called QUAD CAP PRO, it stil insists on some work but not as much as you would manually with the shap i sent you,, i tested it and it works well if you specify areas for it to work on since if you select everything it will mess up your shape.

Message 15 of 24
Steve_Curley

If it does what you need (or most of it) then cool 🙂
Would interested to see a quick screenie of what it produces - and what happens when you add a Turbo Smooth? Bet there's still issues with those sharp corners 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 16 of 24
ekahennequet

That looks like cool script, Michael.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous

actually steve the plugin does come with a turbosmooth option as well as an inset option, it works great, i will send you a screen cap
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

Hi steve, here you go,so quad chamfer basically works on the faces i selected, it goes around and tried to connect all vertices existing but you have play with it a little til it works properly . it doesnt seem to like curves to much unless you have enough vertices to connectQUAD CAP.JPG

Message 19 of 24
Steve_Curley

Cheers. Not sure I like the way it's producing "long" polys rather than going across more, though to do that would mean removing some vertices and adding new ones. Easier said than done.
Point is that it works for you, which is good 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 20 of 24
Anonymous

Well actually thing is what i did was when i got the model it was pretty nasty having so many vertices from autocad so i imported it into AI and then into max for a more normal vertex count, what i did here was reduce the vertex interpolation in editable spine first but to use quad cap pro it would be best to have left interpolation to lets say 3 or 4 so the vertices are more evenly distributed along my spline first of all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report