Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotating panels with volume select and morpher modifier

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
726 Views, 1 Reply

rotating panels with volume select and morpher modifier

Hello, 

I am trying to create a tube shape with a rotating panelized outer surface. I would like the rotating panels to repsond to an attractor. The following tutorial allowed me to create an edit poly from splines, and rotate individual polygons that respond to a sphere attractor. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzCafqS5ic&ebc=ANyPxKoeIPaNQoA3OmNcyZKrmZ9GEb95xSpI-GVPMDqtsz-65Kkg...

When I try to rotate the individual polygons of an edit poly primitive geometry (tube), they stay attached to the rest of the form instead of rotating as individuals. I am confused as to why when I follow the steps of the tutorial, I can rotate each polygon as an individual, but when I make an editable poly from a primitive geometry (rather than splines) I can't rotate the way I want to. 

I have also tried building a tube from splines and applying a surface modifier and edit poly, but still am not getting the desired rotation result (rotation is set to local). I have attached a pic of 1) the effect I would like to achieve, and 2) the problem I keep running into. 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
kgokhangurbuz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello;

When surfaces are created in such ways you do, their edges and vertices are welded together by default. You can simply select all the edges and use "Break" command under Editable Polygon > Edit Edges Rollout while Edge Sub-Selection is active to split them.

But splitting them will not give you individual polygons, they still will be attached to eachother, this may cause you to follow another workflow afterwards, like detaching them if it's necessary.

I'm sorry i cant watch the tutorial you've linked right now, just commenting by seeing the reference images.

Let me know if this works for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report