Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rock Faced Block?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jpiepenburg
169 Views, 1 Reply

Rock Faced Block?

I would for a stone company and we use 3ds Max with V-ray for all of our renderings.  One of our challenges is getting a believable realistic rock face texture on a block wall with sharp corners at the joints. Like this...Rock Face 2.jpg

Please dis regard the numbers.

We have tried multiple approaches with limited success.  I am hoping some of you may have a good and easy solution.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

What approaches did you try already?
I think it would be much easier to make textures in external software like substance designer, quixel mixer etc.

If nothing except max is available, I would try to start by soft-selecting "front" vertices of dense mesh and applying noise with tiny value on X, Y and more on Z. Z here is frontal surface direction/normal.
Then displace it by some stone/noise/dirt/grunge texture from the web, maybe in few iterations using different textures.

Assuming combining a bunch of maps baked from resulting mesh in photoshop for diffuse is also not an option, I would try to make some sort of composite material with those maps as masks to blend several noisy patterns.

Would be a good reason to finally learn how to use DataChannel. Seems like it might help in this case, but atm it looks scary and alien to me =(

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report