Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickly add accurate curvature on a high poly surface

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
627 Views, 6 Replies

Quickly add accurate curvature on a high poly surface

Hi guys,

I am new to 3DS Max/Modeling and I have a problem creating an object with curvatures going along 2 different axis (for example one curvature moving along x-axis, one along y-axis).

Normally its not a big problem. Create your first curvature (doesnt matter what method) and then the other.

Here is the problem:

Please look on the attached example image.

On the right the object with the first curvature created.

On the left an example of curvature I want to add to the selected side of the other object.

As you can see the first created curvature (on the right) needs many vertices and also the curvature on the left that I want to add should be very special and consume a lot of vertices.
Moving all the vertices one by one is very time consuming.

What would be your solution?

Things I have thought of:

• Boolean (also very time consuming), so not an option
  • FFD (doesnt work well with so many vertices - isnt very exact)
  • As mentioned moving vertex by vertex (not an option)
  • Splines maybe to match the x-postions of the surface for each vertex (in a fast way)???
  • Some way to snap many vertices to a surface quickly??? (with axis constraints)

Please also note that the oject on the right might have some other stuff attached, so some methods might not work/be difficult.

I am thankful for any help.

Wish you a successful start into the week!
Marcus

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Irshad_Shah_3dArtist
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi friend..

Here is an example to easily create curvature you are looking for.

Thank you

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Irshad_Shah_3dArtist

Thanks for the tip mate and your time helping me! Here a screencast of my solution combined with yours.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I suppose there are many ways to do this. If you have created surface already with any method you can conform the side of the object to this target.

This is an alternative system to yours that doesn’t need to detach:

Conform brush only one side to a target

You could use the conform brush. But conform brush will ignore selections. For that you need to hide the faces that you don’t want to conform.

image.pngimage.png

Now you need to indicate to Max what object you want to conform to (line001 is the top object)

image.png

Now set a high strength (200) and a relatively large brush

Also set freeze constrains in the axis you don’t want to move. Otherwise the projection can be wobbly as the vertex can move laterally (not always)

image.png

Now use the conform brush until all faces fit your target

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Unhide

image.pngimage.png

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hey mate,

also thanks for your work! Looks like a very nice solution, I really want to try it too and will do soon!

In space warp you also mustnt detach, but because you convert to Mesh you loose all your previous steps. Of course you can add EditMesh on top, but I havent figured out how it works well.

And yes you are right. There are many ways for that. There is also 

Guess I will test out everything and come back later with a new video explaining pros and cons and some use cases.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

One of the best is a cheap script from Miauu package 2: drop on project on surface

its quite instant and doesnt need setup

it allows soft selections

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Great script. Will also test it, thanks for that, too!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report