Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bevel edge of a complex model

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
trinitifx
2104 Views, 7 Replies

Bevel edge of a complex model

I have a complex model that is basically a short tube with an angled cut in it.

The cut ends are then coiled inside.

I need to bevel the outer edge.

I have tried to chamfer it but it is not nearly as sharp as I need it to be.

I also tried to just select all the outside polys and scale them down (that should give me a great bevel), but I can't figure out how to scale them uniformly based on their mesh position.. Right now they all scale together, meaning the polys on the cut scale IN toward each other..

Hopefully there is a better way to do this than manually?Bevel_or_Scale.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: trinitifx

It should be OK using a chamfer modifier and set it as 

image.pngimage.png

image.pngSoft chamfer : tension 0.5Soft chamfer : tension 0.5Hard chamfer -tension 1.0Hard chamfer -tension 1.0image.pngVariations...Variations...

Message 3 of 8
blakestone
in reply to: Anonymous

You could also simply extrude the faces you wish to chamfer just a little bit and then apply the chamfer.

example.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 8
trinitifx
in reply to: blakestone

Thanks guys.

The problem is, I need much more of a 'bevel' than a 'chamfer'..

See attached- I just grabbed the lower inside edge and pulled it down. I need this much of bevel.

Here is the other problem- the INSIDE section should be the extents of the model (this is for a 3D print), I really need the OUTSIDE beveled inward/smaller..

I would have created the shape as I needed it before warping it, but it warps the bevels out of shape.

Message 5 of 8
blakestone

Instead of using bevel you could extrude and then remove the unwanted edge and rotate (if required) as shown below.

example.gif

Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: blakestone

bevel based in local normal in selected faces should work

image.pngImage 1725.png

Message 7 of 8
trinitifx
in reply to: Anonymous

Those solutions work great, except I can't extrude or bevel OUTWARD and make the model any taller than it already is.

The outside edge needs to bevel in/smaller, not the inside edge extruding/beveling out/larger.

I will look at removing rows of edges/verts and see if that works.

I thought adding a taper at the very beginning would work, but the model still distorts too much at the points.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Bevel and chamfer are considered some times the same.

But in Max

• Chamfer carves the edges
  • Bevel extend the edges

It seems that chamfer is what you are looking for, but I quite don't understand you.

In any case I have already sent you an example of chamfer. You design how looks. My examples were simply basic variations:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report