Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with mesh after Boolean

66 REPLIES 66
Message 1 of 67
Anonymous
3872 Views, 66 Replies

Problem with mesh after Boolean

I'm trying to do a simple operation. I have a large cylinder to which I want to take away 9 smaller cylinders from it using a boolean, leaving 9 holes. After this I convert to an editable poly and I want to chamfer the edges of the holes that now remain and apply a turbosmooth.

The problem is when I apply the boolean it totally messes up the structure on the surface of the cylinder's mesh. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong here? I don't want to have to patch everything up here, just need to find a simple solution to what should be a very simple problem.

Or is there another way that i should be going about this?

16336_ASGWa7jSzVz6A6QCd4eU.zip

66 REPLIES 66
Message 61 of 67
ekahennequet
in reply to: Anonymous

Post edited: Attached pics have been updated with new info

Hi Playdo.

I'm attaching 2 examples - One for even number of circles (8 circles) and one for odd number of circles (5 circles).

I hope this helps explain what I wrote earlier.

Part II continued here: area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3ds-Max/modeling/problem-with-mesh-after-boolean/Page-60/#107414

Message 62 of 67
Anonymous

Ok, thanks Steve and Ekah (great illustrations btw), I understand it now. I just need to get into this way of thinking for my modelling, and planning ahead more.
Message 63 of 67
ekahennequet

You're welcome Playdo. I have a part 2 of my previous post that I didn't get a chance to post yesterday. I'll post them later today. They're more about finishing touches than initial setup, such as relaxing vertices and adding rows of edges on extrusions.

I just want to remind you that these aren't rules. These are just rough reference that helps me to break down a shape before I begin, but as I've already mentioned, each model will have different challenges and solutions. They are only rules in the way that many illustrators or modelers think. They start with simple blocks and add details later. In order to do that, you'll need to pare down the form to its minimum. It's a lot harder to make changes once your model has many details already. Of course, the example I used is a very simple one, but the concept is similar.
Message 64 of 67
Anonymous

I look forward to it Ekah
Message 65 of 67
ekahennequet

Part II

I've attached 2 pics:
Bottom image shows how to prepare your base mesh for Meshsmooth/Subdivide on sharp angles. The top image is an example using the previous post's model.

I've also updated the images on my previous post with new info: area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3ds-Max/modeling/problem-with-mesh-after-boolean/Page-50/#107262

Message 66 of 67
Anonymous

Many thanks Ekah. The Polygon Inset Tool that you used, which I hadn't used before, is a nice way around the chamfer problems that I had encountered too.
Message 67 of 67
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Because it's Nurbs, the lines you see (called isoparms in Nurbs) are arbitrary and only for visibility -you can change the number of isoparms with a spinner, but it doesn't affect the geometry face count at all. Nurbs will always look clean like that because they are build from curves, so basically just the circles and arcs to define radii. Tha face count is different, since all renderers have to tesselate. "Face count" is changed via 'surface approximation' and parameters for angle, edge length, etc are controlled with a spinner. I think Pnurbs uses adaptive tesselation, so a 800x600 render might report 6k faces, but the same cam rendered at 8000x6000 might report 300k faces, and it will change with distance from camera. Pretty slick. I don't really use Nurbs anymore because Max's version is weak and I re-learned to do everything with polys, but Maya, Studio tools, Rhino are great, and boolean operations are the basis of all Brep modeling in Cad software like Catia, Inventor, Pro-E, etc. I agree that Booleans in Max are a last resort, and Pbooleans are amazing compared to old Max booleans. btw, if you collapse your lovely Nurbs model to mesh, it'll be a horrible pile of crap, like importing mesh from Cad software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report