Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with mesh after Boolean

66 REPLIES 66
Message 1 of 67
Anonymous
3232 Views, 66 Replies

Problem with mesh after Boolean

I'm trying to do a simple operation. I have a large cylinder to which I want to take away 9 smaller cylinders from it using a boolean, leaving 9 holes. After this I convert to an editable poly and I want to chamfer the edges of the holes that now remain and apply a turbosmooth.

The problem is when I apply the boolean it totally messes up the structure on the surface of the cylinder's mesh. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong here? I don't want to have to patch everything up here, just need to find a simple solution to what should be a very simple problem.

Or is there another way that i should be going about this?

16336_ASGWa7jSzVz6A6QCd4eU.zip

66 REPLIES 66
Message 41 of 67
dongray
in reply to: Anonymous

You subdivide for further modeling which may well be quite possible with PN, though of course, the interface will be different being built by different people.
I'm going to drop this comparison, I was just bouncing off your statement that PN is fine unless you wish to...
whatever further development of the model you were talking about, so it seemed you were limiting the (PN) program since it wouldn't be able to do what you had in mind.
Sorry for taking this off topic.

...out...
Message 42 of 67
Anonymous

Thanks, Playdo, Steve, Don, and Wade S, for the interesting discussion I've been following along with. 🙂 It just depends on how much you can cheat without causing problems later, and balancing that with making your boss happy with time constraints. But speaking of PolyBoost or "Graphite" - I knew 3ds Max 2010 HAD to come up with something amazing, and I'm very much looking forward to it!
Message 43 of 67
ekahennequet

I wish PN could be part of the Max modeling package. NURBS in Max with its unfriendly interface has been stagnant for as long as I can remember. For product designs, there are many alternatives to Max's NURBS that it might as well be dead. Take a look at http://moi3d.com/. Doesn't this look friendlier to use? PN could basically replace the existing spline-to-surface modeling and NURBS in Max. I wish, I wish...

As for this discussion, I think comparing PN to subdivision poly modeling is like comparing apples and oranges. These are two very different approaches to modeling, and either could be used for different purposes.

Graphite... I no longer need to upgrade my Polyboost when 2010 is released. Yay! 🙂
Message 44 of 67
Steve_Curley

Yes indeed - doing something which really doesn't make a lot of sense sounds about right for me 😉
And yes - different tools for different jobs. Graphite should save you a few pennies (cents) anyway 🙂

Oh, and I recreated the object using cylinders of 8 and 16 sides instead of 10 and 20. Result is indistinguishable from the original, and has 9440 Polys after 2 iterations of NURMS.

Valen, sorry I nearly missed your post there. Yes, just occasionally a discussion will start which just develops a life of its own 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 45 of 67
dongray

"I wish PN could be part of the Max modeling package."

Might be tough since it's one of their flagship products, but who knows?
Not me...
Message 46 of 67
ekahennequet

Steve, I like what you did with the holes inside the cylinder. It's nicely organized and well thought out. Since you've thought through with this method, if I had to nit-pick, I would probably go even further for a nicer edge flow. I will post a screenshot shortly.
Message 47 of 67
ekahennequet

"I wish PN could be part of the Max modeling package."

Might be tough since it's one of their flagship products, but who knows?
Not me...

Didn't we (Max) get PowerBooleans from them? So, why not PN? Buy the world, I say. :cheese:
Message 48 of 67
Steve_Curley

Picky picky 😛

One thing I didn't do (to keep the number of steps down) is to pull a few vertices around to get better edge flow - the subdivision tends to smooth them out anyway (to a degree).

I'll be interested to see what you can do with it anway - always room for improvment 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 49 of 67
ekahennequet

Picky picky 😛

My pleasure. 😛

One thing I didn't do (to keep the number of steps down) is to pull a few vertices around to get better edge flow - the subdivision tends to smooth them out anyway (to a degree).

I'll be interested to see what you can do with it anway - always room for improvment 🙂

I need to break for lunch, but I'll get back to this thread. 🙂
Message 50 of 67
Steve_Curley

Lunch? They let you out for lunch as well? Whatever next... 😄

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 51 of 67
ekahennequet

Lunch? They let you out for lunch as well? Whatever next... 😄

There is no "they". I let myself out for lunch. I get cranky when I'm hungry. 😄

Okay, getting back to this thing. I basically used your method, which I liked, and expanded on it.

For me, I found that whenever you're modeling a circular/cylindrical surface for subdividing (Meshsmooth/NURMS), it works best when you break them apart as a quadrant. Or at least, think of them as 4 quadrants making up a whole. From there, I know I can make them modular and add an extension that is a rectangular surface or cylindrical. I wrote about this in another thread, and the concept is basically the same. Each model will have a different set of challenges and may require adapting to the situation at hand, but you can pretty much apply the same idea and make it work.

I would rather stay away from dogmatic approaches to modeling methods or tools, but before I settled on this thinking, I always ran into a fork because the edge loops didn't flow. This quadrant approach has helped me to save time from cutting and re-cutting edges to get those clean lines.

Anyhow, my poly count is probably higher in the end, and if you want to be a stickler for this sort of thing, then it should work. 🙂

My post in another thread: area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3ds-Max/modeling/how-to-make-it-quad/#79563

Message 52 of 67
Steve_Curley

It'a a nice workflow Anna, and one I considered when creating my original one (before I did the write-up), howver, there's a couple of things which make it sligtly less easy than it at first seems.

The original (the OP's original, I mean) only had 6 holes (7 counting the central one) - that pretty much precludes dividing the object by 4, would have to be thirds (or sixths). In order to not have to cut through in an "odd " manner, some thought (and probably testing) needs to be done on the location of the holes, the orientation of the holes, and the number of sides the holes have - all will affect quite where you can make the seams between the elements (quadrants).
My workflow was complicated enough without adding that little lot into the mix, so I went for the more laborious, but maybe slightly easier to understand method.

It also looks (from the images) as though you duplicated the top to the bottom (as "full circles") before creating the sides of the "holes", the outer faces and the chamfering - if working with "quadrants" (regardless of how many) it seems to me that as much as can possibly be done to 1 segment should be done before cloning the segments into the final object. The idea being "do it once, then copy it" (unless I'm missing something - not unheard of 🙂 ).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 53 of 67
ekahennequet

It'a a nice workflow Anna, and one I considered when creating my original one (before I did the write-up), howver, there's a couple of things which make it sligtly less easy than it at first seems.

The original (the OP's original, I mean) only had 6 holes (7 counting the central one) - that pretty much precludes dividing the object by 4, would have to be thirds (or sixths). In order to not have to cut through in an "odd " manner, some thought (and probably testing) needs to be done on the location of the holes, the orientation of the holes, and the number of sides the holes have - all will affect quite where you can make the seams between the elements (quadrants).
My workflow was complicated enough without adding that little lot into the mix, so I went for the more laborious, but maybe slightly easier to understand method.

It also looks (from the images) as though you duplicated the top to the bottom (as "full circles") before creating the sides of the "holes", the outer faces and the chamfering - if working with "quadrants" (regardless of how many) it seems to me that as much as can possibly be done to 1 segment should be done before cloning the segments into the final object. The idea being "do it once, then copy it" (unless I'm missing something - not unheard of 🙂 ).

Hi Steve.

I downloaded the OP's file and used the same number of holes in the file. I thought it was 9 including the center hole. Maybe I'm wrong. In either case, it really doesn't matter because my workflow would follow the same idea. I could have used your example (7 holes) and come up with similar result. The reason for this is not the number of holes in the objects, rather, it's the number sides on the little holes and the outer ring. Take a look at the number of sides/segments you have in your example vs. mine. If you had made the number of sides on the little holes so that they can be cut up into 4 quadrants and do the same for the outer ring to match those sides, you'd end up with a nice edge flow. I hope this makes sense.

The duplicate bottom was a copy of the top afterwards, and I flipped it. Then I used the Bridge for corresponding Borders. I then added few rows of edges using Connect (2 segments with Pinch).

Anyhow, it's fun, no? :cheese:
Message 54 of 67
Steve_Curley

I stand corrected - somewhere down the line I lost 2 holes :oops:

And yes - it is fun 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 55 of 67
dongray

"Didn’t we (Max) get PowerBooleans from them? So, why not PN? Buy the world, I say. :)"

Hmmm, yes, a chip off the old block, but would they sell the whole block?
AND, what happens to continuing development of the program then?
Isn't this usually the death knell to further development?
Message 56 of 67
ekahennequet

"Didn’t we (Max) get PowerBooleans from them? So, why not PN? Buy the world, I say. :)"

Hmmm, yes, a chip off the old block, but would they sell the whole block?
AND, what happens to continuing development of the program then?
Isn't this usually the death knell to further development?

I was just joking, rather unsuccessfully. :red:

I don't want to see smaller developers get bought up and see their products stagnate over time. I wouldn't be happy if Graphite/Polyboost stopped improving. I'd rather pay for an upgrade as a plugin if it meant no further development. My comment was a way to say that Max's NURBS needs an overhaul.
Message 57 of 67
dongray

"My comment was a way to say that Max’s NURBS needs an overhaul."

Definitely think so...
Message 58 of 67
Anonymous

Hi Ekah,

'I downloaded the OP’s file and used the same number of holes in the file. I thought it was 9 including the center hole. Maybe I’m wrong. In either case, it really doesn’t matter because my workflow would follow the same idea. I could have used your example (7 holes) and come up with similar result. The reason for this is not the number of holes in the objects, rather, it’s the number sides on the little holes and the outer ring. Take a look at the number of sides/segments you have in your example vs. mine. If you had made the number of sides on the little holes so that they can be cut up into 4 quadrants and do the same for the outer ring to match those sides, you’d end up with a nice edge flow. I hope this makes sense.'

My original file did use 9 holes inc. the centre hole. But I'm interested in what you say to Steve about splitting it into quads so that the same procedure can be used for any number of holes and how it's only relevant to the number of holes on the little holes and outer ring.

I've tried following the same procedure using 6 holes inc. centre hole. The holes are 8 sided so they can be broken up into quadrants but as I've got 5 outer holes it means that I can't break this into quadrants. I would need 4, 8, 12 etc (multiples of 4) holes to do this. I've attached an image of what I got, is this the best way of going about it?

You say that the outer ring should break down into 4 quadrants, I don't see how this could be done in this situation.

Thanks

Message 59 of 67
Steve_Curley

It can't - 5, 7, 11 (spot the sequence...) are never going to divide evenly. Although "quadrants" are an easy way to explain it, there's no reason you couldn't use 3rd, 6ths... it's just a method of keeping things nice and even, and not having to do the same job (for example) 8 times when you could do it twice and clone the rest. It's a useful labour saving device.
In you example above, you would need to make 1/5 of the whole then make4 clones. In this case each "segment" would have to cover 72 degrees (5*72=360).

You'll also notice, if you play with it, that there's a relationship between the number of holes (excluding the central one) and the number of sides to each hole. Below is one I made with 5 holes (excl the central one) - 5 holes, each hole has 5 sides, built from 5 sections.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 60 of 67
ekahennequet

As Steve mentioned, the quadrants only work with even number of holes, but you can still find a way to divide evenly with odd numbers. As I've written in the example, you always look at the numbers of segments (resolution of your small hole), number of outer holes, and how they correspond with the outer ring. I'll put together and upload an example using the 5 holes shortly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report