Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with mesh after Boolean

66 REPLIES 66
Message 1 of 67
Anonymous
3229 Views, 66 Replies

Problem with mesh after Boolean

I'm trying to do a simple operation. I have a large cylinder to which I want to take away 9 smaller cylinders from it using a boolean, leaving 9 holes. After this I convert to an editable poly and I want to chamfer the edges of the holes that now remain and apply a turbosmooth.

The problem is when I apply the boolean it totally messes up the structure on the surface of the cylinder's mesh. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong here? I don't want to have to patch everything up here, just need to find a simple solution to what should be a very simple problem.

Or is there another way that i should be going about this?

16336_ASGWa7jSzVz6A6QCd4eU.zip

66 REPLIES 66
Message 2 of 67
dongray
in reply to: Anonymous

Here is a method, you can decide if it is acceptable for your use.

16343_baG524yguespsTkOHhEX.swf

Message 3 of 67
Anonymous

Don, wow, thanks very much for your video tutorial, it's an nice, easy way to learn. It brings me back around to the same problem though, in that when I apply the turbosmooth, there is no structure to the top surface of the mesh. What's the best and cleanest way of going about fixing this? Would it be better not to use boolean at all?

I've attached the file with turbosmooth turned off.

16345_0tRPi4wteNPfFTX0v4nX.zip

Message 4 of 67
dongray

First blush would be to smooth before booleaning.
Have a picture of what you are actually shooting for?
Model the shape before doing the Boolean operation.
Message 5 of 67
Anonymous

I haven't got a finished picture to show you. It would be exactly like the image that you've posted above but instead of the chamfered holes, they are smooth and the straight edges of the outside of the cylinder are slightly smoothed too.

I would get this result when applying a smooth modifier to the shape but as you can see there are problems on the top surface of the cylinder as after the boolean it doesn't have a proper spline structure.

I don't understand how I could smooth before booleaning (it would work for the outside of the cylinder) as I need to do the boolean subtraction, then chamfer to be able to smooth in the first place.

Message 6 of 67
dongray

You could use the same method as in the tutorial but use rounded cylinders for the holes instead of the ones with cornered edges,
and start with the smoothed version of the cylinder instead of the sharp edged one.
If you did it this way would you still need to smooth the model?
Message 7 of 67
Anonymous

That would have smoothing on the outside of the main cylinder and the inside of the removed holes but it would still leave a problem: There would be no chamferred edges at the entrance to the holes (as shown in your image) which would need to be made and smoothed too. Then we end up at square 1 again?
Message 8 of 67
dongray

You would chamfer the edges just as before, but with a smoothed shape, needing no further smoothing.
Message 9 of 67
Anonymous

It won't work. When turned into a boolean it keeps the turbosmooth from when it was an editable poly but as soon as it is converted back to an editable poly it loses the turbosmooth.
Message 10 of 67
dongray

If your objects are smoothed (higher number of faces and filleting on main object) you don't need turbosmooth.

16352_OVd2JkRkQeqxddEQzNk2.swf

Message 11 of 67
Anonymous

I'm not sure if we are on the same track here. I'm using turbosmooth as a method to smooth. I want to keep my poly count as low as poss so I'm low-poly modelling and then turbosmoothing (which would produce similar results to any other smoothing method, no?).

A smoothing modifier in the stack, if converted to a boolean and then back to an editable poly will be lost, so there is no use in doing this. I need to finally convert to an editable poly so as to apply the chamfers to the entrances of the holes. As I need these to be smooth and low poly, I guess the only method is to apply a smooth modifier at the end to smooth out the chamfer. But as we see the results aren't good because of the wireframe on the top surface.

Looking at it, it seems that I need to totally restructure the top surface but this seems to defeat the purpose of using a boolean to speed up and ease my workflow. Am I missing out on some simple methodology here of how to set it up before using boolean (alignment, number of sides etc.)? - as I'm fairly new to the program.

I produced a similar result to what I was intending to achieve for the entrance of the hole (only the inner hole area is relevant here). This was produced using a simpler boolean using boxes and heavy turbosmoothing afterwards.

Message 12 of 67
Anonymous

Hi Playdo,
I think you may be confusing smoothing with Turbosmooth. Turbosmooth actually adds polygons to your model and "smoothing" adds the appearance of smoothness without adding polygons.

If your objective is low-poly then I wouldn't recommend using Turbosmooth.

Would something like this below work...? There are plenty of potential problems with this model, but if you are not limited 4 sided polygons and if you aren't planning on deforming this then maybe it will work. Otherwise there would be a lot more work to do.

Message 13 of 67
Steve_Curley

A few points here Playdo....

System scale - having System Units at Inches and Display Units at mm is a bad idea. At least have them both Imperial or both Metric - preferably the same units.
That model is BIG - is it really 4'6" by 5'1" ?

Always model at the origin, then move into position when completed. Trying to model at an odd angle a long way from the origin just makes life difficult.

Be careful using the Orbit Tool (lower right corner of the Max window) - if you click-drag while outside the onscreen circle, you are changing the perspective viewpoint relative to the world grid, which again makes life difficult. Stay within the circle, or use Alt+MMB instead.

Finally - please put your Max version, and brief system specs, in your sig. This can be very important, especially in these non version-specific forums.

As for the model, I recreated it from scratch - booleans are always going to give you smoothing problems which can take an age to correct. Spending time on the original construction can save you a lot of time later on, and give you better results.

Attached file contains an exported model - import it, convert to EP, then either turn on NURMS, or apply Meshsmooth or Turbosmooth - 2 iterations should suffice in either case. I can write up the construction process later if you want it.

16355_srU69QVJ87e88vueFezi.zip

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 14 of 67
Anonymous

Valen, yes that's the look i was going for. I didn't realise that was the difference between smooth and turbo smooth. Though I presume when you set turbo smooth to only show in render then it doesn't increase the poly count? Another problem that I was having with it is when booleaned the resulting edges on the surface cause problems with being able to chamfer cleanly. I guess that I thought it would be a simple process, looking at Steves work there's a lot more that needs to be done - are other 3D programs similar in this do you know?

Message 15 of 67
CAMedeck

I didn’t realise that was the difference between smooth and turbo smooth. Though I presume when you set turbo smooth to only show in render then it doesn’t increase the poly count?

Smooth is really just a shading effect. Turbo Smooth does affect the geometry, and will add polys to the object. If show only in render is set, the new faces will be created for the render. This is just to prevent high polys in the viewport.

I would suggest finding a way to do this without using Boolean. I avoid any of the Compound Objects whenever I can. It looks like you could just draw the shape with the circles for holes, then extrude it. Add the Edit Poly and chamfer your edges, then Smooth.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 16 of 67
Anonymous

Steve, thanks for the tips. Yes the model's 5' big - only kidding! That's done using edge loops right? If you have time and want to write up the construction process, yes, that would be great. Would you be able to show me how to do it but instead of the hexagonal resulting cylinder that you produced, I'm looking to produce a perfectly cylindrical one.

Thankyou very much for the tips and help
Message 17 of 67
Anonymous

Playdo,
You are correct that the boolean method will promote problems later on when chamfering. You will have to fix them manually which may not take toooo long. But that's the price you have to pay for trying to save time. However, if you need a quality model that will stand up to deforming and chamfering and smoothing and importing and exporting and all that stuff - then Steve Curley's suggestion is definitely the best way to go, in my opinion.
Message 18 of 67
Steve_Curley

@Chris - "No booleans were hurt during the making of this model" 😉

@Playdo - I'll write it up later for you. I only made the hexagonal one because that is what was in your original file. There's nothing difficult about it at all, but it is a little time consuming. Unfortunately, if want good results you have to put the time in to creating them. Booleans are not, and never have been, a universal panacea to be used at every opportunity, quite the reverse (only use them when there's no other practical method of achieving the desired reults). I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's far better, in the long run, to learn the other tools, then you will will be able to make most things without recourse to booleans.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 19 of 67
dongray

Edit: My response is based on an email I recieved fromt he forum at 10:13 am EST):

OK, I understand, my point is however or whenever you do the smoothing (before or after) you will raise the face count.
Since smoothing afterward is causing issues I was going with smoothing before.
This image (attached) is 6500 faces (from 26,000 using Pro Optimize modifier), lower than that will start to cause facets.
How many faces are in your example above, a few I would think.

Message 20 of 67
dongray

"It looks like you could just draw the shape with the circles for holes, then extrude it. Add the Edit Poly and chamfer your edges, then Smooth."

This is how I was going to do it, guess I overlooked that you could chamfer without converting to a mesh,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report