Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Im having issues with the cloth modifier

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1808 Views, 1 Reply

Please Help Im having issues with the cloth modifier

So I created a hooded trench coat for my character (obviously the character hasnt been sculpted or anything yet and is just a sort of place holder for me to shape the coat around) but i keep getting these black faces showing up when I simulate and before I would get random points on the coat basically just trying to go where ever they wanted and have been looking online at hundreds of web pages and dozens of tutorials for the last 5 hours... no joke... five rage enducing, hair pulling, and headache inducing hours... I really need help. And to give more info I didn't use the garment maker, instead I created a plane from the characters torso and arms and shaped the hood and the part below the waist using extrude and adjusting the vertices and edges manually (and if you know an easier way to do this please for the love of god tell me lol just this coat and model have taken me 2 weeks and I have 3 months left to create an intro and demo level for my college application.) I used a tutorial I found on youtube that showed how to make a shirt to learn what I needed to do to get a shirt from the character.

Other Information:

-Jacket is set as the cloth object with the settings being the default cotton option, and the Main Body is set as the cloth collision object.

-The only modifiers on the main body object are the Cloth, Symmetry, Turbo Smooth, and of course Edit Poly.

Another thing is that if anyone knows where I can find more advanced tutorials that dont just show how to make a table cloth, drapes, or a pillow please Please PLEASE tell me where I can find them, at this point I feel I've used 99% of my time just looking for information and the last 1% is actually studying them and modelling and its driving me crazy. Thanks so much in advance for the help Everyone.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Fadhil_Farook
in reply to: Anonymous

I believe the polygon faces are too close to the body, or if the cloth is actually two sides, then the z-depth problem is occurring. If you zoom out and the dark spots enhance, then this is the problem. Try zooming closer to these regions and see if ceases to exist. Otherwise, it could be overlapping polygons. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iKcVUJcIwc (There are 3 parts for this tutorial)

Trench Coat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-2owf695Q

Combine multiple softwares into your workflow to be versatile if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG0aIwrLxco

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report