Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSubDiv & Extrude for thickness.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
matt_jukes77
282 Views, 3 Replies

OpenSubDiv & Extrude for thickness.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to model a taxi door and followed the process outlined by Paul Neale on YT seen here YT Car Modelling 

As you can see below, I've managed to build the face of the door, but I'm stuck trying to extrude the faces. I think this is because of the OpenSubDiv smoothing (I'm guessing)

2024-03-19 16_19_21-Taxi Door with Reference -Test Extrude.max - Autodesk 3ds Max 2021.png

Perhaps this method is incorrect for what I require, so while I continue to trawl through YT and read up on other techniques, I thought I'd ask you great folks. 

This panel needs to be about 5mm thick. It's the thin lip of the door and the same you see on modern car doors.

I don't need a step by step guide, but if any of you have an idea how I can best accomplish this it would be great.

Thanks
Matt

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hagen.deloss
in reply to: matt_jukes77

Hi @matt_jukes77 ,

Good choice in video content 😄 and thanks for bringing your question to the forums!

I would start by duplicating your object, then testing around with the duplicate. You can try:

• Adding an edit poly modifier to the stack
  • Selecting all faces
  • Adding an extrude modifier with your 5mm thickness

Is the car door all one piece? you might need to do it by element if its in pieces. Let us know how it goes 🙂 

Warm regards, 

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 4
matt_jukes77
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Hi @hagen.deloss 

Well, don't I feel foolish.

My stack has Opensubdiv with an edit poly beneath it. I was thinking to apply the extrude to the poly layer, which of course failed when the opensubdiv actioned on the whole thing... 

Applying a second edit poly on top of the opensubdiv was exactly what I was expecting (hoping) to achieve. Now just need to work out the capping of the open faces and the tweaks in geometry and I'll be done.

Thank you again. Really appreciate that nudge 🙂

Kind regards
Matt

Message 4 of 4
hagen.deloss
in reply to: matt_jukes77

@matt_jukes77 , glad you got a good, easy resolution! And don't worry, the stack tricks even the most seasoned 3ds Max users, probably won't be the last time either 😛 

happy modeling!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report