Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening complex 3d model

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
296 Views, 1 Reply

opening complex 3d model

i am trying to open complex cad model inside 3ds max with polycount ranging around 80 million. Although it is able to import them it taking around more than 1 hrs to import plus there is lag also in the model. Following is my system configuration:-
HDD 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5in

GFX NVIDIA Quadro P6000 24GB

CPU I 4116 Xeon2.1 12C

RAM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666 ECC 1CPU APJ

could someone suggest how could i can improve the importing time & lag inside the model?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
loganfoster
in reply to: Anonymous

Model conversion from one format to another (especially CAD or engineering content) can take a long time depending on how much data that it has in it. This is primarily due to the fact that data conversion has to take place to convert the information from one format to another and then build the proper unlying 3D geometry. 

Unfortunately the only way to really make the import process go faster that I have found is to have your data broken up into more files (such as by layers, instead of one larger file). 

In 3DS Max 2019 a new Importer was released for importing CAD/engineering data. With this importer the quality slider plays more importance to the resolution output of the data that is being imported. This can affect your import time at the cost of more mesh resolution. Hence another good reason why you should have your data broken up if you can do so, because it will enable you to have the data resolution where you need it. 

In regards to your question about "speed" after it has been imported there are a few reasons for this and some general suggestions...
1. CAD data is usually messy, with every bolt, rivet, washer, spacer, etc. included. While all of this looks great, each object in your scene causes more for the software to deal with and calculate. What I do (and this isn't a guaranteed trick for everyone, just something that works well in my work style) is try to consolidate this data by removing what isn't needed and merging/attaching similar data into a single node. 

2. CAD data will often come in unoptimized. Often requiring a vertex weld, or even rebuilding mesh data for it to be more optimal. Just be careful about your normals being changed.

3. 80 million polys will cause 3DS Max to work pretty hard to think about how to display it (this is a given, its a lot of polygons spread along a lot of objects) but it can do it with a workable framerate. Max versions from 2017 onward have gotten better and better at how they handle this data for performance. But to help improve your performance with this it really IMO comes down to is using layers to hide or freeze content that you do not need to interact with at this time. You could also maybe try Xrefs but that is up to you.
4. This all requires significant time on your part to put into the file, but it can be well worth it in the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report